Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,314   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cable release: long extruding wire?

I lost two cable releases last week on the same excursion - inexplicably, both my mechanical release and the silly little plastic thing for my DSLR escaped me. I'll never understand how that happened, but anyway...
    I've bought two new mechanical releases for use with my medium format cameras. The first one had an extruding wire, dangling about an inch from the thread, bought a second one from a different online store and the same thing:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LwuNgSJx9u...to%2814%29.JPG

The item description clearly stated they were universal mechanical releases, but I'm unable to attach them to my Hasselblad or Pentax 67.
    With the one I lost, the wire was only visible upon pressing the button - popping out about a couple of millimetres.
    Last edited by batwister; 09-07-2012 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At the top of the cable, the button you press in?... is it in the locked position, thus the reason the wire is extending all the way?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How embarrassing... I've unlocked them. First time I've used this style of release, my last one didn't have a lock thread or extrude this far. Cheers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HAhahahahahaha. how many times we just simply overlook the obvious?.. lens caps?

Glad it worked out for ya.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't feel bad, I'm an expert at those kind of mistakes!
    2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The circular locking knob is called a brake (or lock). Be careful you don't poke yourself in the eye getting a grip on these nasty things!

Whenever buying a cable release for the Pentax 67, take the camera along and fit the prospective release, as the shutter throw on the 67 is deep. I had a German-made release last November that bottomed out without firing the shutter. An humungous, clunky release from Hasselblad (curiously, Made in China...) did the trick, though I protested long and loud at the atrocious cost. Meanwhile, I've never lost the 60-T3 electronic release for my EOS1N, bought in 1994 and still firing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having lost a few cable releases in my time I started to buy them with a white coloured cable sleeve (Hama I think), hopefuly to give myself a fighting chance of backtracking and finding it again. The only one I did find was when it was snowing!

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    I've lost my cable release one day, I couldn't certainly find another to buy within 100 km so I went back to the field where I must have lost it.

I searched in the high grass until the cow came home. At that moment I came home too.

The cable release was in one of my photographer vest pockets.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    batwhistler, the best place to get cable releases is Wolverhampton camera fair, they are cheap and cheerfull 2 for the price of Banks spoilt by progress bitter

One problem these days is some cable releases don't have enough throw for some shutter, those look quite good.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    These seem to do the trick and I'll keep both of them in case I get butter fingers again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin