Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,232   Online: 895

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    $250#? That's insane. Send it to David Odess, you'll probably save money even with the international shipping.

Why is the same thing in the US 2x the price in the UK?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 500EL/M with this problem. I acquired it as such, and I figure it was most likely a dead battery in the body that stopped it from cocking properly.

Thanks for the link to the tool, I've been eyeing it for ages, but am too scared to dig around in there with a screwdriver! $20 to salvage a Zeiss lens that hasn't been used in years. Done.

I had a lens that was "fired" but was off a body and couldn't be reattached. I cranked it back into the correct position, but the amount of rotation made me wary of trying it on the EL/M---I wasn't sure I could securely hold the body/screwdriver while turning it so far.

EDIT: Totally missed pg.2 of the thread (Woops). Sounds like a bigger issue than just cranking the mechanism. Hope you can get it fixed for less than 250 quid!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    $250#? That's insane. Send it to David Odess, you'll probably save money even with the international shipping.

Why is the same thing in the US 2x the price in the UK?
    £250 is if you take it to Hasselblad. How much does Hasselblad US charge for a repair?
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    £250 is if you take it to Hasselblad. How much does Hasselblad US charge for a repair?
    They won't say until they look at it.

Sounds like your problem is something other than the run of the mill jam.
    Like maybe something with the lens release linkage in the body? ? ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All

Apologies for the late reply. I thought everyone had stopped discussions but there is half a dozen new ones since I last read.

Re the Hasselblad prices - in fairness, they said to send it for an £80 service, where they spend an hour servicing it, re-aligning screws etc and checking it over. Only if a confirmed fault was found would it be the £250.

But that doesn't matter because a few days after my last post, odly enough, I was just holding my Blad and admiring it generally, and I tipped it upsdie down, at which point I heard a little click. Surprise surprise, the lens then came off. My friend RJ rekons the lens to body screw might just be slightly out of line. I have shot a roll wit it since but not had it developed so can't confirm all is well, but the camera now seems to be OK, having sat in a warm and dry house for a few months. I suspect the damp bag that I left it in was the cause of all this.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought only electronic cameras were affected by dampness.....surely a quality mechanical camera like a Hasselblad wouldn't go down purely by being in damp conditions? Cameras like this are made to endure all weather conditions. I suspect something else contributed to the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The mechanical complexity of Hasselblads have always made me avoid them, and looking at the many frantic posts I see on internet forums about the mechanical problems that people are experiencing with them doesn't disuade me of this view, I would rather stick to my 2 Mamiya TLRs that have never jammed malfunctioned or let me down in about twenty five years constant use, Iv'e had them both CLA'd only once about eighteen months ago as preventative maintanance, and they will probably carry on working faultlesly for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-27-2012 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The mechanical complexity of Hasselblads have always made me avoid them, and looking at the many frantic posts I see on internet forums about the mechanical problems that people are experiencing with them doesn't disuade me of this view, I would rather stick to my 2 Mamiya TLRs that have never jammed malfunctioned or let me down in about twenty five years constant use, Iv'e had them both CLA'd only once about eighteen months ago as preventative maintanance, and they will probably carry on working faultlesly for the rest of my life.
    I suspect the main reason you hear more about occasional problems experienced with Hasselblads is that they are such wonderful workhorses that there are far more of them in circulation, and most with many more miles on the clock, than most other systems. They were favourites with a lot of professional photographers for a good reason. Unless abused or worn out from many years of hard use, they don't give anyone any problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know Hasselblad equipment is excellent quality made to the highest standards out of the best materials and closes tolerances when new, but many of the Hasselbads on the second had market a fu**ed with many years use/abuse, because pro's don't pay the sort of money Hasselblad equipment costs just to look at it they have had hard consistent use over maybe 20, 30, 40 years, the mistake amateurs make is thing that they are going to be buying reliable equipment right out of the box without a complete service by a professional repairer that should be factored into the cost.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-05-2012 at 12:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin