Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,436   Online: 829

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselbald 501CM jam - Help!

Hi

My Hasselblad 501CM seems to be 'jammed'.

I used it a few weeks ago in dry weather. All seemed to be OK. On the way home, with the camera in my bag, the heavens opened and I got totally soaked - rining wet. However, though the bag was wet, the inside seemed dry as it has a membrane inside that seems to stop the wet. So I thought nothing more of it.

This morning, I loaded a new roll of film and tried to wind the the viewer. However, it wouldn't go forward. With the dark slide removed, I pressed the shutter and though it fully depresses, nothing happens and I cant wind the viewer on. I now cant remove the lens either, because, I assume, it think its locked between an exposure?

What might I have missed? What might I be doing wrong? Or is it proper jammed?
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bring it to an authorized repair centre, with the camera in their hands they will be able to help better. Water is a great enemy of fine mechanics, it's best to respect it like seamen do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are brave at heart (not really difficult) do a google search and check the procedure.
    The lens and body "key" most likely got misaligned although the only time I've seen it happen is when removing/installing a lens.

You need a screwdriver to come in from the rear with the film back removed.
    The only real danger is if you slip off the slotted key with the screwdriver and scratch the rear element of the lovely Zeiss you have mounted.
    There is a tool made for this purpose but a screwdriver works with care.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I vote for the tool mentioned by Bruce Muir. It has two sides that are shielded with one for the lens and one for the body. Although it's not often needed .. don't leave home without it. If that doesn't solve your problem I agree that a repair service is the way to go. There are other parts that can go.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys for the help so far. Incidentally, is anyone reading this from the Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire area of the UK who I might be able to visit with said camera just for them to check it is actually jammed and not me being stupid? It will be a great way to have a brew and talk about Hasselblads!

Can you actually name this screwdriver so I know what to search for or provide a link to buy it from? Many thanks
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i get the feeling you recently acquired this camera? I vote for going to a repair person/dealer and letting them look at it -- any cost is an investment in sanity as well as good equipment. If someone very very familiar with the camera says "all you need is this little tool," and shows you how it works, and it does, then buy the tool and send them a thank-you card. While there also buy a pro-pack of film. That is how they make their money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as you're careful you can also use a flat head screwdriver which fits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WillieJar - thanks for the link. Will that work for the 501CM, too. It states for the 503CX?

For any UK folk reading this, Amazon UK sells them too for £20 : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Cam.../dp/B002KEL9T0

Also, the picture shows the curtains open. On mine they are closed if I take the film back off and pressing the shutter has no effect. How does one manually open the curtains?
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to manually open the "barndoors"

All 500 series bodies can have this problem, 501/501/500 doesn't matter.

Ted, if you do this yourself be sure you look around and read abit on how it's done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin