Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,317   Online: 951

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a Mamiya RZ and for handheld work it was not good. After an hour I got a little hand shake (actually a lot, I hate to admit). So that meant it needed to go on the tripod. Not what you are probably looking for. The Hasselblad is much more manageable in that regard and I like shooting it handheld. The Mamiya 645 Pro was also nice handheld, but I just found the square format worked better for me between the two.

I haven't used either of the systems you've mentioned, but look at their weight and bulk to help you decide. That to me is much more important than whether the camera takes batteries. Spare batteries are cheap, so carry a couple in your bad at all times.

The other thing I find with MF SLRs is the mirror slap really makes me flinch, so I find I don't get as sharp of images handheld as i could. I've tested this with mirror lockup and a tripod and I'm pretty sure it's the mirror making me move, not it vibrating the camera. In this regard a range finder is very nice. I love the Mamiya 7 and the Ansco Super Issolette (which may be in your price range) for this reason. So try the camera before you buy. Maybe consider a pair of fuji range finders, I hear they are excellent, and have different focal lengths available.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keyofnight View Post
    Are you sure about this? I read different things about this online. One place says the only fully mechanical Pentax 6x7 is the non-MLU version. The 6x7mlu, 67, and 67ii use a solenoid for the MLU. Other places say there are no fully mechanical versions. Man. The Pentax 6x7 is my ideal camera, honestly. I've known my own Pentax to be a robust camera, and I'd like the same experience for MF.
    I take that back, I read the manual and it seems it has an electronically-timed shutter. Now that I think about it I used to have two replacement batteries in the bag, but In the years I owned mine I never had to replace the battery so I guess that's why I never thought about it. The manual stated the battery will last about 8000-10000 exposures. Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Pentax 67, they are total classics and I know fellow professionals that are still using them for documentary and street work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...food for thought..i have RB and P67 along with Rolleicord,Yash24, and GS645. The P67 should live with the fast 105 & 160 lenses on it for portraits and environmental shots; and its heavy to hold eye level. The RB held low and slow for wide and on tripod for landscape and long lens for portrait; amazing. But NEITHER work for me if portability beyond a few steps from car required. For that throw the Rolleicord/Yash and fuji folder in a bag. You get that low hold perspective that makes all the diff with the TLR and then can go landscape or portrait orientation with the gs645 for quick environmentals, landscapes etc with stunning resolution. the p67 was a gift and I thought the end to my TLR/fuji combo...but simply cant deal withh that weight for me. hope that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The original Pentax 6x7s with MLU seem great, but I hear they don't work without their batteries (or film) and I hate that.

What!? You "hate that"? Steady on, mate. What's the problem??

The battery (singular) weighs next to nothing, and most owners of the 67 carry a spare with them, not in the likelihood of ever needing it on a shoot, but as sensible insurance.
    In the 67, the shutter disengages if there is no film loaded. It's a good feature to prevent idiots fingering the shutter just for fun. The function also nulls all controls so there is no drain on the battery. Conversely, if the shutter remains cocked for a fair while, the shutter speeds will become inaccurate. A big problem with a huge number of used bodies where owners have put in film and left the camera in that state for months on end.

Like electronics? Well the 6x7/67 might well disappoint you, really. A couple of resistors, potentiometer, lengths of coloured wire, a capacitor here and there and a solitary battery check LED... and rudimentary construction would probably make it easy for you to replace things ad hoc — no USARTs, decade counters, CMOS, EPROMs or other trinkets to trick up. The majority of bodies are still soldiering on literally in the era of the first Moon landing technology.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-11-2012 at 10:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me it's a very principle thing. I like the way i know even if there wasnt any possibility for batteries. I like the primitivity of it.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sharris View Post
    …the p67 was a gift and I thought the end to my TLR/fuji combo...but simply cant deal withh that weight for me. hope that helps.
    Wow. How tall are you? I'm a pretty big guy… would it even be too heavy for me? My bag usually weight about 20-30lbs when classes are in session. Would the 67 + 2 lenses weigh that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    What!? You "hate that"? Steady on, mate. What's the problem??

The majority of bodies are still soldiering on literally in the era of the first Moon landing technology.
    For me, it's more about the possibility that some electronics are difficult to repair in the future. As others have pointed out, though, the 67 is not a very complicated camera—none of those PCBs with tiny electric components, LCD screens, and small electric motors you find in newer cameras. I know the newest cameras have a relatively short shelf life compared to older cameras, and I'm interested in longevity too.

You're right, though…I can't imagine there is much to the 67. I'm apprehensive about the LCD in the 67ii though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keyofnight View Post
    Wow. How tall are you? I'm a pretty big guy… would it even be too heavy for me? My bag usually weight about 20-30lbs when classes are in session. Would the 67 + 2 lenses weigh that much?

For me, it's more about the possibility that some electronics are difficult to repair in the future. As others have pointed out, though, the 67 is not a very complicated camera—none of those PCBs with tiny electric components, LCD screens, and small electric motors you find in newer cameras. I know the newest cameras have a relatively short shelf life compared to older cameras, and I'm interested in longevity too.

You're right, though…I can't imagine there is much to the 67. I'm apprehensive about the LCD in the 67ii though.

Well you might be, too. The LCD in the 67II wasn't my idea! <*grin*>

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sharris View Post
    ...[...] the p67 was a gift and I thought the end to my TLR/fuji combo...but simply cant deal withh that weight for me. hope that helps.

A gift!? And...and, you can't deal with it!? Look, I'll give you a Bex and you can have a lie down...
    Yes, well, the 67 with 3 lenses with a lightmeter, filters, film and notebook in a KATA bag is 6.5kg. And I'm a small person with small hands, but I like wrapping them around big things. I usually carry a bit more than the 67 kit e.g. a tripod too. The 67 is OK 'freehand' but the shutter/mirror whack is very disconcerting (no, read: "heart-stopping"), so all of my photography has the slow, studious and "stand back and shut up!" approach of tripod-shot large format. And they're beaut, sharp images to boot!

—Anon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin