Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,958   Online: 782

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Can anyone recommend me a light meter?

So I have been doing some push shooting lately (1600 on XP2 Super) as well as long exposures with my Mamiya RZ67. The problem is that the Dejur Dual Professional meter I have been using only goes up to 800 and does not have very clear low light readings.

Therefore I decided it might be time to look into a nice electronic light meter (possibly Sekonic). Can anyone recommend me a meter that is in the $250 range? I really do not want to spend more than that on a meter

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Used Sekonics to look at are the 358 and smaller, less expensive 308. Either are within your price range. Both are tough, reliable and accurate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sekonic L-308.... S, maybe? I think the versions are B, S, and D? Anyway, I have a 308B, earlier version, and it is my daily meter. Goes in a jacket pocket, always ready to be pulled out to check. I use it on incident all the time. Large simple readout. I set a shutter speed based on my basic shooting conditions and do the math if I need to make a change. Meaning that, for example, if it tells me that at 1/125 I should be shooting at 2.0, and I want to shoot at f5.6, I use 1/15. Simple enough... well, it works for me, a simple readout of a shutter speed and an aperture. Some people might prefer dials and such.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you want spot or incident or both? I wanted both 1 degree spot and incident and ended up purchasing a Sekonic L-508. They don't make them anymore, but you can pick one up used on ebay.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is nothing that beats an old Luna Pro for low light metering. Decent ones, plus the battery converter, will be well within your price range. Reflected plus incident reading.

If the calculator doesn't go high enough figuring out a 1-stop or 2-stop adjustment is easy enough to do in one's head.

But haven't we dealt with this question before or am I having dejavu all over again????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Olde Luna Pro is the way to go !
    I eBayed a Luna Pro, and Spot Attachment for less than $30.00.
    I use the Radio Shack Zinc Air batteries, no adapters necessary.
    I keep trying to find an excuse to upgrade to a more expensive meter ...

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post

A few years ago I "upgraded" to a more expensive "does everything" meter (Sekonic L-558) and only get value from that upgrade when doing flash or 1-degree spot metering. I probably could have done just as well continuing to use the Gossen 7/15 deg spot attachment and cheap flash meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    The Olde Luna Pro is the way to go !
    I eBayed a Luna Pro, and Spot Attachment for less than $30.00.
    I use the Radio Shack Zinc Air batteries, no adapters necessary.

Ron
    Good luck with that. I've been looking for the same excuse since the last millenium....

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Sekonic L-308S and I would definitely recommend it if you don't need spot metering. It does incident and reflected metering, as well as flash. Relatively small and light and fairly robust, even though it feels plasticky. The meter takes readily available batteries which last for ages. It's cheap, too.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Gossen Digi-Pro F: Incident or reflectance. Flash if ever needed. AA battery.
    Put that in a Lowe FS10 belt pouch.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin