Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,565   Online: 789

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

rb67 wide angle lenses

hello everyone,

I have an RB67 ProSD with 90mm KL and 180mm KL lenses. Both lenses are great, but I would love to get a wide angle for shots which require greater DoF. Right now the 90mm is not doing it for me - in order to get close foreground objects in focus I have to give up focus at infinity (see attached picture for an example).

I am unsure whether to get the 65mm KL, or get a C or non-C 50mm. I would like to hear people's experiences with these lenses, or any examples of pictures taken with them. Really any input you can give would be helpful. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img400.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	522.2 KB 
ID:	57017

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50 mm c lens which I like very much. There are a few who prefer the 65. I always like the wide angle lens.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great photo. I just bought the 65 but haven't used with film just yet. I will say though that the min focus distance is amazing and I look forward to the opportunities it will provide. I don't recall whether same thing with 50mm, but may be a factor for you; maybe not. Look forward to your result!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also had 180mm and 90mm lenses and was looking for a wide angle. I choose the 65mm because of the significant distortion of the 50mm. If you are planning on using it primarily in the landscape this might not be an issue, and the 50mm would give you greater depth of field for shots like the one you posted.

Either way I would not get a Non-C wide angle lens as they are only single coated and wide angles are more prone to flare and more difficult to shade properly.

Search Flickr for some examples from each lens...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's my 50mm. I don't have 65mm. Good luck on whatever you decide.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/tags/50mm/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the replies everyone. I will definitely look for at least a C lens. Does anyone have any experience with the 65mm C vs the KL? I know the KL was a different design than the C in 65mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only have the 65mm C and have never used a KL lens of any variety. My understanding is the 65mm C & non C were identical except for coating while the KL is an entirely new lens design. Search APUG, RB wide angles have been discussed quite a bit.

Good luck!
    Shawn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get the 50mm lens, you will never regret it. That lens can hyper focus from a few inches to infinity with less distortion than most wide lenses and has a look unique all it's own.

The beauty of the RB is that is has can focus so close with any lens, the bellows is over extended by 43mm as it is.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the 50 is my recommendation too. The close-focus is amazing.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using a 65mm/140mm macro lens set as my "basic" kit - but I tend to use a 35mm as a standard lens on 135.

I really, really like my 50mm C lens too - unfortunately the shutter needs service
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin