Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,233   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try to find a chimney view finder. It has an adjustable diopter and is myuch nicer for more criticle focusing becaus eit blocks out stray light, has the advantage over a prism because it is light weight as well. KEH has one for $31....

http://www.keh.com/camera/Mamiya-RB-...006001440?r=FE
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree-the chimney finder is great.

Charlie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the Pro-SD body but only the oldest version of the WLF - the magnifier swings up but the top remains open around it - it does not become light tight. I have often wondered if it would be worth getting the newer version of the WLF which does become light tight. Has anyone else switched and found a difference? Or would it perhaps be even better to go with the chimney finder? I assume the chimney finder is not collapsible, so what do you do with the camera when you put it in a bag, in order to protect the ground glass?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    I have the Pro-SD body but only the oldest version of the WLF - the magnifier swings up but the top remains open around it - it does not become light tight. I have often wondered if it would be worth getting the newer version of the WLF which does become light tight. Has anyone else switched and found a difference? Or would it perhaps be even better to go with the chimney finder? I assume the chimney finder is not collapsible, so what do you do with the camera when you put it in a bag, in order to protect the ground glass?
    I prefer the newer style WLF - it does work better.

I also recently acquired a newer style metering chimney finder, which is better still. But it does take a lot of space in the camera bag.

I transport the camera with the WLF attached, and switch finders prior to using the chimney finder.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to have a RB Pro with the older type of flip up WLF and I can't say I noticed that much of a difference compared with the newer WLF with the exception that the newer one was easier to fold down. I also had a magnifying chimney hood which was really nice but just too bulky to fit into the bag to take out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks Matt and Xtolsniffer. Xtolsniffer as far as I know there were three kinds of hoods - the easy folding one was the third model. The second model was like the 3rd in that when you flip the magnifier it formed a light tight hood around it. The original model (which I have) only has a the magnifier flip up so the top is still largely open around it, letting lots of light in. Did you have the 1st or 2nd iteration? If you had the 1st one like I do and it was not much better than the light tight WLF then I may as well go with the chimney.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was the first generation one, a circular lens with lots of gaps around. I got on with it ok, though it did require a bit of strange hand yoga to get the thing to fold down again. The chimney finder is nice, though I had to take it off everytime I put the camera into the bag which was a bit of a pain as I had to put the WLF back on to protect the focussing screen.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks. I guess the chimney finder is worth it despite the hassle then. I put up with all the other hassle of dragging the RB into the field, so why not this too!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the great input. I ended up buying a micro prism screen (version C) new in box from KEH. It seems like it will be really easy to focus, but of course I now have to put some film in the camera. Sadly, I now enter a 9 day stretch with only one day off (and I work 14 hour days), but then I am going to Bishop CA for 5 days to try out the new/old RB. Judging from the above posts, the WLF that is on my camera must be pretty late model because there is almost no light that comes in and it operates as smooth as butter.
    "Crap, why didn't I take more pictures"
    Me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin