Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,693   Online: 919

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My screen is 92" x 54" inches, so with square format only 1.3 metres. My Leica P300 with 90mm is fine, but a longer lens might even be better and get the projector behind the chairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    IIRC the normal lens for a medium format projector is 150mm. For the PCP80 they also had I want to say a 250 or 300mm lens and then a wide-angle like a 75 or 80 for use in rear-projection setups where there might not be that much space. I'm pretty sure those lenses were proprietary to the Hassy projector, which had perspective control features (thus the PC in the PCP name).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thankyou Ill go for 150mm, do you now the difference between the S-Heidosmat and Heidosmat? or how they compare to the 150mm Apogon?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Quick question. How would a Rollei Dual compare to a Leica P300 for 35mm? Its an option to sell my Leica since the Rollei can do MF and 35mm. Also, I don't know which of the Rollei projector lenses are good. I use a super-colorplan with my Leica.

Daniel.
    Hello Daniel,

the best lenses for the Rollei Dual are the Apogon 2,8/150 and especially the Apogon 2,8/120 (and easier to project your 35mm slides with this lens).
    But nevertheless I would keep your Leica P 300 with the excellent Leica Super-Colorplan (the lens is jewel).

Slide projection is one of the best things you can do in film photography. There film really shines and is absolutely unsurpassed in its quality.

Well, as some of you know, I’m running a small non-profit optical test lab.
    And we’ve done lots of detailed tests concerning slide film (colour and BW) and slide projection, as well as evaluating the performance of beamers.
    Tests from our team:
    We have tested all the films with a relative low object contrast of 1:4 (two stops). Lenses were Nikkor AI-S 1,8/50 (long barrel version) and Zeiss ZF 2/50 at f5,6 (and some others as well).
    Both lenses have the same performance in the center at f4 and f5,6, but the Zeiss is generally better at the corners and at f2.
    Some test results from our resolution tests (Nikon F6, MLU, MC-30, 1/250s, focus bracketing, Zeiss ZF 2/50, f5,6, Nikkor AI-S 1,8/50, object contrast 1:4; Berlebach Report 3032; the first resolution value represents the number of clearly separated lines, the second one the resolution limit where still a contrast difference can be seen):

Fuji Velvia 50: 110 – 125 Lp/mm
    Fuji Sensia 100: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Fuji Provia 100F: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Fuji Astia 100F: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Fuji Velvia 100: 125 – 140 Lp/mm
    Fuji Velvia 100F: 125 – 140 Lp/mm
    Kodak E100G: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Kodak Elitechrome 100: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Fuji Provia 400X: 105 – 115 Lp/mm

Agfa Copex Rapid; ISO 64/19°; Agfa Scala reversal process : 165 – 180 Lp/mm.

Adox CMS 20 / Spur Orthopan UR developed in: Spur Nano Edge, Spur Nanospeed UR, Spur Modular UR, Adotech: 240 - 260 Lp/mm
    (that is the physical diffraction limit for white light at f5,6!).
    All these values above can be seen under a microscope.

And, with excellent lenses you can transfer the above listed resolution values with only a minimal (not relevant) loss onto the projection screen!

We've tested several projection lenses, e.g. the Leica Super-Colorplan P2, Zeiss P-Sonnar T 2,5/90 and the Doctor-Optics / Kindermann 2,4/90 MC-B.
    With all three lenses we could transfer the 120 lp/mm of E100G, Elitechrome 100, Provia 100F, Sensia 100, Astia 100F onto the screen!
    Same with 165 lp/mm of Agfa Copex Rapid as BW-Slide (developed in Scala reversal process)!
    120 lp/mm: That is an equivalent of 50 Megapixels. You need a 50 MP beamer to get the same detail at this object contrast. The 165 lp/mm of Agfa CoRa are equivalent to 94 MP. But there are no 50 or 94 MP beamers, not even a 10 Mp is existent.

And even better: We projected an Adox CMS 20 negative with 240-260 lp/mm and got 230 lp/mm transferred onto the screen!!
    As now the recent tests with CMS 20 as BW slide have been successful, it is planned to do another test with the CMS 20 slide in projection. The resolution then will probably
    even higher because of the higher contrast of CMS 20 slide compared to the CMS 20 negative.

If I look at 35mm slide projection with an excellent projection lens, then the quality is even surpassing digital medium format projected with a beamer. Because the imaging chain film+projection is much, much better than the digital imaging chain digital file+beamer. The beamer is the very weak part in this imaging chain and decreases the quality of the file to a big extent. From your 40,50, 60 or 80 MP only 1,2,4 or max 8 MP (most expensive gear) remain as beamer output.

And of course with medium format slide projection, using excellent lenses (camera and projection) like the Rollei Apogon, you can significantly surpass the already outstanding 35mm performance.

For big enlargements slide projection delivers an unsurpassed quality. And at extremely low costs ( a projected slide on a 1m x 1,50m screen cost me less than a buck, a print of the same size cost me more than hundred bucks).

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For fear of sounding completely ignorant in epic proportions......IS there a best color slide film available (still) that you would recommend? I finally got a couple of trays and glass slides in from the mail a few days ago for my P11 projector. I need to finish a roll of Provia I got a while back and I think I have a roll of Velvia somewhere in the fridge too....all 120. My Yashica 124G is finally getting a workout after collecting ALOT of dust over the past few years.

Is Provia better to use in certain situations than Velvia? I probably shoot half indoor and half outdoor if that helps.

One last subject. I noticed on the "Bay" that some guy in Korea was offering 6 x6 and 6 x 4.5 plastic slide mounts that will fit medium format projectors like my Rollie P11. Anyone used them? 645 would be terrific as I love using my Mamiya 645 Pro.

Bob
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob,I've had a Rollei P11 for more than twenty years and find medium format Slides are best mounted in anti-newton ring Gepe glass mounts http://www.amazon.com/Gepe-452701-An...361802&sr=1-23, they are expensive but they keep the 120 film flat that helps the overall sharpness of the image, and help to stop the slide popping out of focus from the heat of the lamp.
    Fuji Provia is is fine it's my favourite slide film, it's very sharp and colourful and will knock you're eyes out in medium format, I can also recommend Fuji Provia 400X if you need something faster.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-04-2012 at 09:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Bob,I've had a Rollei P11 for more than twenty years and find medium format Slides are best mounted in anti-newton ring Gepe glass mounts http://www.amazon.com/Gepe-452701-An...361802&sr=1-23, they are expensive but they keep the 120 film flat that helps the overall sharpness of the image,
    To what degree are these reusable? Or is it not worth the effort?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are re-usable they click together, and are easy to pop apart with a knife in the joint, but as with all glass mounted slides you have to make sure the slide glasses are absolutely clean and dry before mounting the slide.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I prefer Provia over Velvia, just because the color saturation, while intense, is not over-the-top outrageous. Velvia can be tamed by over-exposing a tad to knock the saturation down from the psychedelic to the merely loud. Shoot it at ISO 40 (or 1/2 stop over ISO 50, however you want to calculate it).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I prefer Provia over Velvia, just because the color saturation, while intense, is not over-the-top outrageous. Velvia can be tamed by over-exposing a tad to knock the saturation down from the psychedelic to the merely loud. Shoot it at ISO 40 (or 1/2 stop over ISO 50, however you want to calculate it).
    I agree with you Scott I find Velvia a bit "Mickey Mouse" in it's saturatuion, and Provia a much more useful film for general shooting, it's very sharp and fine grained and has strong colours without being over saturated, I used to prefer Provia to Kodachrome.
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin