Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,140   Online: 871

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Low light / No light landscape framing

Hello All,

I've recently acquired a Hassy, and I know i'm eventually going to want to do star trails, night exposures, etc. In the past, I've used a Speed graphic with a Sportsfinder, or the Sportsfinder in a Yashica. However, the hassy dosen't seem to have one of these, so I thought I'd ask how you all do it? Not just with a hassy, but with any camera when it's too dark to see what you're aiming and don't have a sports finder (can I get one though, with my 60mm?)

If it helps, it's a 500CM and Distagon 60mm is what i'll probably be using for these shots, but hopefully there will be some techniques which work with other cameras too.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

I googled "hasselblad sports finder" and turned up about 8 entries on the massive auction site. Most were for 80mm or longer lenses, but that should get you in the ballpark, so to speak.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a few different sports finders available, some that mount on the accessory rail on the left side and another that mounts in place of the regular view finder. I don't have any of my catalog information close at hand, but there should be masks available that would show you the 60mm field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    On a camera that dosen't have a sports finder however, such as a Graphic View for instance, how would you compose and frame?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    set up at twilight when you can still see and focus.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a practical thing to do to poke around in poor light with any camera, especially when organising star trails. This requires planning on location and setting up before the event.
    Set the Hassy up while you have useable light, aim it toward that area of the sky where you will maximise the effect of star trails. Focus to infinity with a moderate aperture. Set the shutter for Bulb/Time exposure and attach cable release. Then move back and wait until dark. Return to the spot, and without touching anything, trip the shutter and let the camera work its magic.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Low light / No light landscape framing

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    On a camera that dosen't have a sports finder however, such as a Graphic View for instance, how would you compose and frame?
    Isn't that going to be a little tough to focus for star trails?

How do you have infinity marked for your lens?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't actually have a graphic view, it was just an example. I guess i'm asking to see if anyone had some kind of clever way of calculating the angle of view of the lens and then taping it out with string or something
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin