Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,979   Online: 914

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I figured it out. It's much more accurate ouside that it is inside.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A silicon photodiode from 1959 is highly unlikely to be effective in anything other than full daylight anymore. I've got a 1956 Rolleiflex 2.8E, with meter. The meter is basically useful for confirming that Sunny 16 really does work. Once you get too far off full sunlight, either guess or get a handheld meter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    A silicon photodiode from 1959 is highly unlikely to be effective in anything other than full daylight anymore. I've got a 1956 Rolleiflex 2.8E, with meter. The meter is basically useful for confirming that Sunny 16 really does work. Once you get too far off full sunlight, either guess or get a handheld meter
    A silicon photodiode from 1959 would be a rare and interesting collectors piece. That camera uses an iron selenide photovoltaic cell, which, depending upon how it was treated, might be dead on - like my mid 50s Weston meters - or useless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys,

I figured it out. It's much more accurate ouside that it is inside.
    That is about right. Selenium meters are not at their best in low light.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oops- sorry about the misnaming of the meter type. But you get the idea - it is rare for meters of that time period to be working accurately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Oops- sorry about the misnaming of the meter type. But you get the idea - it is rare for meters of that time period to be working accurately.
    Believe it or not, the old selenium meters can be good. I have a pair of Master III Westons, one that I use regularly for incident readings, and one that is NIB. Both are accurate.
    The meters on the Rolleis weren't great in low light - for that matter neither are the Westons - but they can be useable. If the meter on the OPs camera reads correctly outside, it's probably as good as it ever was. That said, I'd use a good handheld meter. My Rollei 3.5T had the sharpest Tessar lens I've ever used, I sold in the late 90s it due to money problems and regret it to this day.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, I'm pleased as punch with my 2.8E Planar. If the meter never works again I'll keep using it until it is beyond repair. I just Sunny 16 and break out the hand-held when I'm in low light. Every once in a while I compare it to the built-in meter, and the built-in does ok, but even at its best it's off by 1/2 stop or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, they really are one of the great cameras. I have a Rollie Standard, the uncoated Tessar gives interesting images.

You'll either have to abuse yours, or live several lifetimes to get it 'beyond repair'!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A couple years ago there was an exhibit at the National Geographic headquarters about a botanist and anthropologist who went into the Brazilian rainforest in the 1950s. He did manage to wear out more than one Rolleiflex, but then again, he was shooting in the Amazon basin, hundreds of miles from the nearest unpaved road, let alone camera repair facility. In an area with 100+ inches of rainfall a year. They had one of his Rolleis on display in the exhibit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin