Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,678   Online: 792

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RB prism - difference?

I have a Mamiya RB-SD. Can someone tell me what the differences are between the old style prism and model-2? I know model-2 can work with both RB and RZ but that's not one of my concerns. I also know older types are heavy.

Are there any difference in usability or anything else??
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

dpn
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Someone might be able to confirm, but I believe that the model-2 prism purports to be brighter.

(FWIW, I just bought and returned a model-2 prism from KEH. It added significant bulk to the camera and was, in my opinion, harder to use to obtain focus than the normal WLF.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a model 2 Prism and the metered prism. The model 2 prism is made for the RB and can be used on an RZ. The metered prism is not coupled to the camera and if I remember correctly, it runs off of the camera battery. Both are big chunks of glass.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I have a model 2 Prism and the metered prism. The model 2 prism is made for the RB and can be used on an RZ. The metered prism is not coupled to the camera and if I remember correctly, it runs off of the camera battery. Both are big chunks of glass.

No one had both at one point to compare??

I'm actually not that interested in metered prism but thanks for the info. RB doesn't have a battery though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I have both

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    No one had both at one point to compare??

I'm actually not that interested in metered prism but thanks for the info. RB doesn't have a battery though.
    I've done some comparisons with my hand held Minolta spot meter and the meter is OK. It's just takes an average reading. May or may not work if you're persnickety about your readings.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other than the metering part, is one better than the other??? Which do you prefer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer the newer one with the meter. I don't know if it's the age of the prism of the model 2, but the prism glass looks yellowish. Maybe another APUGer can explain. Both are cheap on Ebay. You can buy them for $100 or less.
    Aaron Chang

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin