Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,438   Online: 694

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, that advert is very interesting. These cameras were not cheap - £3/7/6 in 1931 was an average income and equates to about £600 in today's money. Beyond a working man's wallet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's interesting that camera prices start to drop in relative terms with much greater production volumes in the 1930's but they stayed expensive until the 1960's in relation to average wages.

I haven't a pre-WWII reference to Ikomat cameras in the UK, the name wasn't used here however it does appear that name Ikomat is used in the US instead of Ikonta even on top models. Maybe there was a trademark issue. This happend to Exacta with the Varex models which were sold as VX in the US.

The TLR Ikoflex was sold as an Ikomat as well in the US.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Non of my 'standard' literature mentions Ikomat at all (Tubb's Zeiss Ikon Cameras 1926-1939, and The Hove Blue Book, Millennium edition). I have only found a couple of mentions on the Interweb - nothing detailed.

Matt's Ikomat has the same die cast body as a Netter 515/2 but that cheaper camera has a Nettar lens instead of a Novar (both triplets. The Novar being made by Rodenstock, I think, and the Nettar is an old Contessa Nagel design from before the merger that formed Zeiss Ikon).

Shooter
    35mm
    The shutter speed control is a dial above the lens - speeds are 100, 50, 25, T and B. Hence why you don't really want to put anything faster than FP4 in as you'll struggle to get the right exposure when the sun is out!

It also has the smaller tripod fittings, there's even a tiny grub screw to stop the adapters from working loose (talk about attention to detail). I'll try to get a few photos later as it seems to be something a bit unusual.

As for price, it seems that you will always pay about the same amount for a quality item. I found a scan of a 1980s Argos catalogue a while ago with a kit of a Pentax ME Super, Pentax-A 50mm f1.7, AF200s flashgun and gadget bag for £189. In real terms that's probably what you'd pay now for a consumer DSLR.
    Last edited by PentaxBronica; 09-22-2012 at 08:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "It also has the smaller tripod fittings, there's even a tiny grub screw to stop the adapters from working loose"

Just had a look at my Nettar tripod bushes - never noticed the grub screw before.

Shooter
    35mm
    A couple of quick shots of the camera. I still need to take the top off the brilliant finder and have another go at cleaning the mirror (it looks like rust but may just be very stubborn gunge).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP2784 (397 x 599).jpg   IMGP2785 (397 x 599).jpg  
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It will be rust in the brilliant finder. They seemed to chrome plate straight onto steel. I have certainly never managed to get one into a useable state.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chip proof black nail polish is good for touching up the paintwork

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I improved it a bit with a cotton bud soaked in lighter fuel (which made the rust spots smaller). I suspect a previous owner wasn't so careful while cleaning as a load of scratches appeared under the muck. It's usable but really just gives you a vague idea of what you're pointing at - not quite as good as the WLF or prism finders on my Bronicas!

I'll have to try the nail varnish, I wasn't really planning to tidy the paintwork up but if it's that simple...
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Thread resurrection time!

I recently showed the Ikomat to a friend who commented that the leather bellows seemed a bit dry. Does anyone have any recommendations for a treatment to keep them healthy? I have some leather wipes (intended to be used on a sofa) and some saddle soap aerosol foam to hand which work on leather camera cases, but obviously this is a bit different.

The original cable release has also expired, thanks to the cloth covering finally breaking where it was crimped into the metal end piece (it was hanging by a few threads, which snapped on about the third use). This means that if you try to use the cable it just stretches the spring around the wire core rather than pressing the shutter. I have a couple of standard cable releases which fit the socket, but would obviously like to repair the original. Has anyone managed this?
    Last edited by PentaxBronica; 11-10-2012 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin