Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,865   Online: 980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Send the camera back to the repair shop. You shouldn't have problems like these with it.

When the MLU is tripped, the mirror goes up, and the shutter stays put. Then when the shutter is tripped, the first curtain fires, and a second later the second curtain fires. I have a P6x7, and I've never experienced what you described.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian C. Miller's second paragraph is correct in terms of operation.
    At the moment, and having noted your post that you have the non-TTL meter version prism, I am thinking something may not be coupling correctly irrespective of the prism/lens mount-dismount procedure. I would take the prism off and scrutinise the coupling chain; if it is broken (and a broken chain is conspicuous by its floppy appearance), that's a proper repair job. If it is intact, attention needs to shift to the coupling level in the lens mount. After those checks and operational tests, only then should the camera go in for service; because of this camera's engineering quirkiness, problems can and do manifest in unique and different ways — frustrating/infuriating ways, if you like. Never had this sort of problem with my 67 but then I read the instructions before I started removing things (just this afternoon I removed the prism top remove a stray hair that was annoying the crap out of me on the focusing screen — reassembled, loaded with Vaudeville Velvia and ready to roll).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Yes, the prism needs to be coupled to the lens aperture lever or the mechanism will not engage and thus potentially snap the coupling chain
    That's only true for the metering prism, correct? I believe the OP said he had the non-metering prism.
    The prism is generally only removed to facilitate cleaning of the focusing screen.
    Or to switch between prism and another finder, e.g. Waist Level Finder or Chimney Finder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've shot a couple more rolls and haven't had the problem I've described, but the mirror will still stick occasionally. Turning the speed dial a few times will release it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The mirror should never stick. You are still having problems with the camera, and it needs to go back for more service.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good, fresh battery? Of course I think the "mirror-up" is mechanical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Good, fresh battery? Of course I think the "mirror-up" is mechanical.

It is electrical, controlled by solenoids on the upswing and magnets on the return. It can exhaust the battery, but only if it is held up with shutter tripping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I've shot a couple more rolls and haven't had the problem I've described, but the mirror will still stick occasionally. Turning the speed dial a few times will release it.
    Check the foam damper on the forward lip of the top of the mirror box has not deteriorated to the point where it can cause the mirror to stick to it. Replacement foam can be obtained on eBay and it is very good stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since this problem is still ongoing, I'd like to keep correspondence here. The comments have been helpful, but I'm still trying to figure it out.
    I've been in contact with the repair guy and haven't had a response. I really can't afford for another repair place to take advantage of my ignorance about the problem.
    The shutter box was quoted as being repaired in my receipt.

There's still a roll of film in the camera which I'd like to try and finish before checking the foam, as suggested by Poisson.
    Since the shutter doesn't stick when I'm quick about making an exposure (activating MLU and pressing the shutter) it sounds like this might be possible. If I activate MLU and faff about making light readings before pressing the shutter, it takes a while for it to drop down - my lull giving it time to stick?. But other than this potentially being the cause, what else would cause the mirror to stick? With a fully functional 67, after pressing the shutter, how does the mechanism work exactly to drop the mirror?
    Last edited by batwister; 10-01-2012 at 02:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin