Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,466   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what would you do?

If I were in that situation again I would ask for the refund.

I am already having the same situation with a similar camera and the same seller.
    This is the first time I have anything from KEH with a problem, they already sent my camera back to me with absolutely no evidence of them fixing the issue even though they said they did repair it. Now the camera went back to KEH a second time and they said they sent it out to someone else for repair.

To be honest I did ask for the repair instead of refund but it seems to be more trouble than it is worth.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Problem with new GW690, what would you do?

Repair, that's the beat deal. Who can do a cla for $50 thats reputable? These cameras need tune ups when the counters on the bottom reach 500 (I think every 10 shots moves the counter by 1) anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Problem with new GW690, what would you do?

How much did you pay for it?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a GW690 (1) on Ebay for a good price. It had a new shutter installed about 2 years before I bought it, a low count since then, and it has worked very well.

If the rangefinder works well, etc., I would first run some test rolls through it. One roll, sent repeatedly to test the wind mechanism to make certain it is solid and consistent. If this checks out, send it in for repair. The worst that happens is that KEH sends it back unfixed. You then send it back for a refund. Second worst, they can't fix it and you get a refund. Third worst, they fix it and you have a nice camera with a recent overhaul. None of these 'worsts' sounds bad to me.

But do some shooting and testing in the next couple of days just make certain that you want the GW690. This particular one or another one, it is not for everyone (which can be said for all cameras, eh?).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Let KEH fix it for you.... no better choice
    Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well thanks everyone. I shot one roll with the camera yesterday and two more today. I love the way it feels, the way it handles. I rode around this morning on my bicycle with the camera strapped and hanging from my back.
    It felt great, no heavier than my Nikon F really. It's easy to focus and the viewfinder is big!

I'm going to send it for repair. I really appreciate the kind advice from everyone who has replied. It makes me feel better knowing I'm thinking rationally about the situation. I can't even get the shutter to hang up today. It's back to working fine again. I'm still going to send it in, but this has me thinking that a little bit of TLC will be all she needs to consistently fire properly.

Mwdake's reply is the one that concerns me. Mwdake, would you care to perhaps give a link to a forum tread (If you've posted one) about the specifics of your problem? The gentleman that I write back and fourth to states that they are capable of setting shutter speeds in house....and it would seem nuts otherwise. He assures me that whatever decision I make he will gladly accommodate. The customer service really seems 110% at this moment. I'd like to know about your situation. If you have the time to PM me I'd like to know what happened.

What I've noticed a lot now that I'm really searching and looking around is that everything I read about the GW690 says that Fuji abandoned the "B" shutter setting in exchange for "T" only when they created the GW series, yet this camera has the bulb setting and it works quite nicely...I did some shooting this morning before sun-up using my release cable. Does anyone know about the B setting on the GW690? Was it used for a while, then stopped early in production? It was a nice surprise for me. I've been wanting a Fuji 6X9 for a while now and the T-only setting didn't quite sit well with me. While this may not be a big deal to many people, I enjoy low light photography and I'm used to carrying my cable along with my tripod.

Rich815, I paid $460, shipped. I know it's on the high side at the moment, but I have to admit that knowing I could send it back within 3 months was very appealing, especially considering the age of the equipment. The body looks like it was owned by an amateur. There is a scrape near the tripod socket but it's otherwise very clean with a counter of 349, for what it's worth (nothing).

Thanks folks, I am going to take most everyone's advice and perhaps shoot the camera for a few more days to make sure that the speed is the only concern, then I'll send it off as long as everything else seems good. Does anyone else here have the B setting on their GW690 or know about this? I know that mine isn't the only one but still I can't find info online about it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1778.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	57558
    Last edited by jeddy-3; 09-22-2012 at 06:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mwdake, would you care to perhaps give a link to a forum tread (If you've posted one) about the specifics of your problem?
    I did not create a post about my issue. I would not do so anyhow unless I had a really bad experience.

Basically I bought a Fuji 645, when it arrived one of the spool release buttons was defective which required a paper clip to release. Not wanting to carry a paper clip with me to use the camera I sent it back for repair. Two weeks later it came back but exactly as it was before, no paperwork from the repair but customer service said it was repaired. I sent it back again for repair and just found out they have sent it out to one of their vendors and I should wait another two weeks.

So, 2 months and I have yet to use the camera for it intended purpose.
    I really wanted a lightwieght compact medium format for travel.

To be honest KEH customer service have been very responsive and offered a refund all along.
    So, if I were to do it over I would probably get the refund then find another camera without a problem to begin with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man, I'm sorry to hear that. It's funny because travel is what made me really decide it was time for something along the lines of the 690. I recently hauled my Mamiya TLR on a 5 day hiking/camping trip to the Cascades. That got old really fast but I ended up with some nice shots and have no regrets. I appreciate what you said about not posting something unless you had a bad experience. My intent was surely not to trash KEH. On the contrary they have been extremely easy to deal with. Hopefully your experience was a miscommunication problem ( a really inconvenient one). It does suck that you still don't have your 645 and I can definitely understand your point of view. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My intent was surely not to trash KEH.
    Me neither as I have always had good experiences with KEH before and I am sure they will work it out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My GW690-1 has the B setting on the shutter. It is serial number 9125147. I have no idea of its year of manufacture or such.

Its shutter was rep[laced by Fuji Canada about three years ago, based on a receipt from the previous owner. No mention if they 'upgraded' to a B setting shutter or not. I think I've read of other '1's with the B setting, not the T setting. If oyu like long exposures, an answer for the T issue is to use a lens cap as your shutter for ending an exposure.

If the shutter counter count seems high to you, just undo the three screws on the bottom, pull the bottom off, unscrew the counter, and spin it to whatever number you want! You can operate the shutter without the counter in place, even remove it for good or until you go to sell it. You'll find that the shutter clunk has nothing to do with the counter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin