Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,940   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Problem with new GW690, what would you do?

Hi everyone. I have a small problem and would like to hash it out with someone I know, but I honestly don't know personally know anyone who is into traditional photography...so perhaps I can explain my situation and rationale and someone can tell me if my head is straight.

I just bought a Fujica GW690 (I) from KEH via ebay. Obviously, the camera is already around 30 years old, but it's in immaculate condition and looks nearly brand new. It arrived very quickly but unfortunately the slower shutter speeds stick at around 1/15 and slower. Sometimes they work, sometimes they get hung up, it seems to be intermttent, so I really can't say that it was overlooked by KEH.

I contacted the seller and a manager quickly and politely responded, was very apologetic about the situation (so far dealing with KEH has been really pleasant with good communication). I am told that I have these options-
    1. Send it back for full refund.
    2. Keep it as is with a $50 refund, and have the work done elsewhere (voiding the warranty).
    3. Send it back for a free repair under warranty.

My first thought was to just send it back and look for another, but then I thought about it some more.
    I know nothing about the internals of the shutter timer, but perhaps it's simply a matter of a shutter CLA. In this case, a used camera with a fresh CLA is way better than one that's been sitting relatively unused for the past decade....as is most likely the case for many of these cameras still in great condition.

I am told that all shutter speeds will be checked if I send it for repair.

So...Is it best to just wash my hands and roll the dice with a different camera, with it's own potential for problems and without warranty, or to have it fixed and most likely end up with a good reliable machine for years to come? I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here.

Thanks so much for any insight. I really do appreciate it.
    Sincerely,
    Paul
    Last edited by jeddy-3; 09-22-2012 at 06:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: original had too many unnecessary details.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have it fixed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    send it back. would you have paid as much as you did if you knew there was something wrong with it? prolly not.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Send back for repairs and keep it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have it fixed. Would you use the slow shutter speeds anyway? If the shutter is going to be CLAed at no cost to you, it is going to be better than you will find elsewhere.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. So far it seems my thinking is not far off.

WildBill...I know exactly what you're saying. Your question is the reason I initially thought I would send it back. Oh, and your work is very nice, especially the Manzanita, Valleyheart Falls, and Vining Creek Swirls..which I bet is really nice when enlarged.

Peltigera...Your rationale is exactly what I'm starting to think after sleeping on it. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some reason why this line of thinking is bad. Oh, I absolutely use and require the slow speeds )...no question about it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. So far it seems my thinking is not far off.

WildBill...I know exactly what you're saying. Your question is the reason I initially thought I would send it back. Oh, and your work is very nice, especially the Manzanita, Valleyheart Falls, and Vining Creek Swirls..which I bet is really nice when enlarged.

Peltigera...Your rationale is exactly what I'm starting to think after sleeping on it. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some reason why this line of thinking is bad. Oh, I absolutely use and require the slow speeds )...no question about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Option #3.
    That way, instead of having a camera in clean cosmetic condition, you will have a camera in clean cosmetic condition that has been serviced recently.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the ONLY wrong choice is to keep it and get $50 AND lose the warranty. No one competent will repair it for you for that kind of amount.

I'd choose between refund and repair.

My choice will probably be to put a film in it and do a test run to see if there is anything else that needs attention such as view finder calibration, film spacing, light leaks, etc. Then if too many things are wrong with it, ask for refund. Or, if shutter is the only thing, get it fixed.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what would you do?

If I were in that situation again I would ask for the refund.

I am already having the same situation with a similar camera and the same seller.
    This is the first time I have anything from KEH with a problem, they already sent my camera back to me with absolutely no evidence of them fixing the issue even though they did, now the camera went back to KEH a second time and they said they sent it out to someone else.

To be honest I did ask for the repair instead of refund but it seems to be more trouble than it is worth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin