Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,849   Online: 956

Shooter
    35mm RF

Can't get Mamiya 645 Pro shutter to fire. Help please!

Hi All,
    I recently joined this forum in anticipation of using a Mamiya pro 645 setup that I have recently purchased. Trouble is I can't get the dang thing to work! I have put new batteries in the body and winder, it seems to meter fine but the values in the viewfinder flash and the shutter won't fire. I have tried it with both the hand winder and power winder grip all to no avail. If I press the shutter release on the power winder it winds the whole film through without firing the shutter. I have removed the dark slide and set the camera settings to what the manual says to do. I have tried two different film backs and wasted several rolls of film and am now getting very frustrated (as well as getting low on film).

Is there something I have missed or have I bought a lemon? Please bare in mind that this is my first foray into medium format gear so it could be something very simple that I have missed.

Cheers,
    Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure you are loading the film correctly?

With a power winder, if you load a fresh film, you are supposed to flip the lever to "START" which will advance the film from beginning to the first frame. If you don't do this "START" first, when you press your shutter button, the film winding will run for a while and place your second frame in a strange place.

If you are finding your meter number flashes, that means some kind of interlock is on. That *could* mean, you are loading film backwards, meaning take-up spool and film in reverse location so that when you advance your film the first frame, you area actually winding all the way back the film. (so there is no film to expose)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Sam;
    I have a Mamiya 1000s so may not be much help. Sounds like the darkslide interlock is not working on your camera, preventing the shutter to fire. I have rewound rolls of film before to save them. Take a spool and wind backing paper on it. Use this for a test roll until the shutter is working. Check all electrical contacts. Leave the power winder off and advance manually. Steven.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Guys,
    I dont think it is the way I have loaded the film as I have followed Mamiya's instructions on how to do a test run without film loaded and it still does not fire. I have been winding to the first frame by selecting start position but if I then push the shutter release it winds the film right through. I have also tried with the hand crank without success either. I removed the back, prism, lens and winder and still no joy.

I fear there is an electrical issue so have started looking for a replacement body. The shutter curtain is also creased at the bottom so I'm not sure that it would be light tight anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Sam;
    Sounding more like mechanical issue to me with the top shutter curtain not closing fully. This could be fixed but another body might be the most economical choice, Steven.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin