Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,617   Online: 726

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use plates that look like these 2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t102011qr140.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	57656Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS_12_spare_QR_plate_zoom.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	57657

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some German cameras that came with their original tripods. They are all ball-head and the head only has mimimal contact area with the camera, in practice theyt work OK.

In Turkey Ihave a modern Slik tripod (sold for Digital) that's similar but qiuite a bit better in terms of rigidity, it's fine with a 5x4 camera I use it with my Speed Graphic or Crown Graphic, also my 6x17 camera.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-24-2012 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As it happens, I was using my Nettar 515/2 this week and experienced the same problem. I decided in the end it was not a problem as although the camera was not entirely rigid on the tripod, it was firm enough once I let go to take slow exposures with out the camera significantly moving.

If you are in a situation where absolute rigidity is required, perhaps you should not be using an ancient folder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Those plates look exactly like mine.

TBH the age of the tripod doesn't matter much, it's how well-built it is. I wouldn't put my Bronica on a cheap travel tripod as it'd probably bend the legs, but the RedSnapper shows no signs of strain.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tripod plates are a great idea for a quick release, but they don't actually spread the surface area much more than a normal tripod head does. On a Moskva you put a plate on and the camera still sits high on its own little pimple, and given that it is of a certain manufacturing quality not necessarilly a very secure pimple. You need to spread the clamping patch over as large an area as possible.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Tripod plates are a great idea for a quick release, but they don't actually spread the surface area much more than a normal tripod head does. On a Moskva you put a plate on and the camera still sits high on its own little pimple, and given that it is of a certain manufacturing quality not necessarilly a very secure pimple. You need to spread the clamping patch over as large an area as possible.

Steve
    Exactly Steve, that `pimple' is the problem, and yes it is the one area of manufacturing quality I am having trouble with.The `pimple' is loose.

Thanks for all replies, there will be an acceptable solution here somewhere

Peltigera
    "If you are in a situation where absolute rigidity is required, perhaps you should not be using an ancient folder."

But they are so enjoyable to use, besides culturally, we always look for a solution down here

elekm .
    Thanks, I had an old L bracket spare.5 minutes in garage and problem solved. Cut 2 16mm holes in the rubber to accomadate the protrusions on the base of the camera.Screwed the whole lot on and camera is now as study as any others I use.
    regards
    Last edited by Craig Swensson; 09-25-2012 at 01:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added a commer just for the hell of it

I have the same problem with my perkeo II. The solution may be a head large enough to cover the entire distance between the two small feet on the baseplate of the camera. I don't see any alternative. May be the tripod's head of fifty's were different from the current models?

Antonio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a thin layer of cork between the camera and the tripod head/plate; I replace the cork after it looses its 'sponginess'. Some Manfrotto heads have cork as their top surface.
    Folders are fun to use and the portability and quality is excellent - a small tripod or monopod is usually sufficient for steady shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some '30s vintage German folders that have a second tripod socket on the 'door' (can't remember the correct term). Made a plate from 1/4" plywood with a piece of aluminum angle attached. There is a hole in the angle piece, and it is mounted to line up with the tripod hole in the camera door. A cap screw is threaded into this second tripod hole, and together with the camera attached to the plywood piece using the tripod hole on the body, it holds the camera securely.

Don't know if a Moskva has tripod hole on the door.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin