Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,235   Online: 1059

Shooter
    35mm RF

Anyone compare Rolleiwide to new Rolleiflex 4.0FW

Anyone compare Rolleiwide to new Rolleiflex 4.0FW, in regards to lens and imaging quality?

I think I understand the differences with regards to age and mechanicals (especially meter vs not).

But how do the two lenses compare? Is it more than simply focal length differences? Is there a big difference in uncoated vs HFT coated?

regards
    Vick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no idea, but I think we are safe to assume that both lenses are good enough for any purpose. Was there really much progress regarding lens resolution in the past 50 years - I doubt it. And Rollei had quite stringent quality targets, in the old days, that the lens makers struggled to meet...

Regarding coating, even the oldest Rolleiflex Distagon was coated (single coated...).

Regards,

Sven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone compare Rolleiwide to new Rolleiflex 4.0FW

Frankly I'm not sure my Rolleiwide Distagon could be any better. One of the best if not the best lens I've ever used. Simply amazing.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The Schneider Super Angulon now called the w-apogon is also a very high quality lens. Regarding the HFT coating I have found that it does make a significant difference with the 80mm Planar.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin