Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,502   Online: 849

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kiev 88 vs Kiev 88CM Mount Difference

Just picked up a Kiev 88 off the'bay and am trying to figure out if it's a 88 or 88cm mount. My understanding is that the 88 is a screw mount and the lens unscrews like a Pentax M42 mount, while the 88cm, you hit the button, turn the lens and it comes off, like my canon EOS system.

I know it sounds stupid, but before I go buying a few lenses for the new camera, I'd like to make sure I've got it right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kiev 88CM will fit Pentacon 6 lenses and Kiev 6c/60 lenses. It is a bayonet type mount, but the locking ring turns instead of the lens. (On the P6, not sure about the Kiev). The original Kiev 88 mount is sort of an interrupted screw that the lens makes about a quarter turn to lock. The Kiev 88 mount is similar to the old Hasselblad 1000F lens mount, but different enough to not be compatible.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So if the lens turns then it's the old Kiev 88, if the locking ring turns and the lens doesn't it's 88cm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's correct.

If the camera is an 88CM, it should be marked that way. If the lens mount ring turns, it's definitely an 88CM. Otherwise, it's an 88.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to chip in here - you are probably better off going for the 88cm as there are more lenses available for small money + you can get the new type (nt) backs which seem to be more reliable. If you can get one that has been serviced /tuned by arax or hartblei then so much the better.

I like mine a lot - even if I have suffered a light leak until I fixed the backs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin