Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,700   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Humidity In Camera bags?

Hey guys,

I was thinking.. I know our cameras and especially vintage cameras like Rolleis can have real problem with humidity. Do you guys make arrangments with some sort of silicon or rice bags in your bags?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually choose the bags for the specific conditions I will be encountering. Waterproof with rain hood if wet, and oil/cloth canvas when dry. If the bags get wet i just hang them to dry with everything out of it, and all pockets open, and hanging.

I also like to pack gear in ziplock bags to combat humidity with cameras that are not weather sealed, also within the ziplocks I toss silica gels.

But I think in situations such as the tropics, you really cant do much about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Todd,
    I always keep one or two silicon bags that come in aspirin and vitamin bottles in each of my camera bags. I replace them about every 6 mo's. Never had a problem with humidity, moisture, or dampness in the air. You can also buy commercial ones designed for gun safes at many sporting goods stores.
    Even in my dry climate it is good insurance. Good luck in protecting your stuff!
    2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys,

I was thinking.. I know our cameras and especially vintage cameras like Rolleis can have real problem with humidity. Do you guys make arrangments with some sort of silicon or rice bags in your bags?

Todd
    No. It isn't worth the bother unless you live in the tropics. Rice is worthless, it absorbs moisture but can contribute it's own fungal problems. Silica gel packets will only absorb moisture until they are saturated, they then have to be reactivated in your oven. Putting a saturated SG packet in a camera bag can actually increase the humidity in the bag.
    A camera bag is permeable, or at least not sealed well enough for an average size packet to actually dry it significantly. Keep the gear in a cool dry place, dry it if it gets damp before you put it back in the bag or case, and you shouldn't have any worries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great tips guys. Since I got my Rollei, I want to keep it safe.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think as long as the bag is breathable it will dry out. I'm more worried about hermetically sealed Pelican cases. I would use silica gel canisters if the case is closed or leave it cracked open if you don't use silica gel.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Great tips guys. Since I got my Rollei, I want to keep it safe.

Todd
    Understandable. I have a 1950 Deardorff V8 with the original leather bellows, a 1960~ Linhof, original leather bellows, as well as other nice/ rare/expensive things that dampness could harm or destroy. One mistake to avoid is keeping stuff too well closed up, with temperature changes condensation can form and disaster occur.
    Just keep the gear where air can get to it and circulate, you won't have any trouble. Unless you live somewhere that thr relative humidity is up around 100% all the time. Then it's big tupperware tubs with industrial size dessicant cannisters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I think as long as the bag is breathable it will dry out. I'm more worried about hermetically sealed Pelican cases. I would use silica gel canisters if the case is closed or leave it cracked open if you don't use silica gel.
    +1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Speaking of bags.. I have Mamiya/Rollei in cotton Canvas backpack. I was actually looking for a cross body smaller bag for just carrying around Rollei and a couple of rolls of film and light meter. Got an suggestions?

Todd

mcd

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Humidity solution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin