Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,010   Online: 773

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's sorta like the difference between a turbo 4 and a big V8. Both are capable of producing a lot of horsepower, but they go about it in different ways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's like the old adage, "There's no replacement for displacement". As in JBrunner's example above of the turbo 4-cylinder and a big 'ol V8 - both get to the "whole lotta horsepower" in different ways. However, adding a turbo to the V8 changes things (photographic vernacular equivalency could be better printing or better lenses with the medium format size)...... Also, there are more measurements than strictly horsepower - torque, motor longevity, reliability and/or economy for example.

I wonder if the best 35mm lenses resolve "better" than the "best" medium-format lenses (or if that metric really matters....).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post

I wonder if the best 35mm lenses resolve "better" than the "best" medium-format lenses (or if that metric really matters....).
    The answer is no, not really. Some Zeiss lenses for Hasselblads have tested well into the 90 lpmm range at optimum apertures ; some Mamiya lenses also.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The answer is no, not really. Some Zeiss lenses for Hasselblads have tested well into the 90 lpmm range at optimum apertures ; some Mamiya lenses also.
    And some of the best Zeiss lenses for 35mm (Contax 50mm f1.4 IIRC) could resolve 135 lp/mm, if not more. The problem becomes with 35mm that the lenses may have super-high resolving power, but it eventually gets past the ability of the film to record... you can't really take advantage of that resolution if you're not shooting say Velvia or Kodachrome 25. A 400 speed film's grain will undermine that resolution.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Picked up a couple rolls 35mm 100TMAX today... I've got a Zeiss 50mm f/1.5, Leitz 50mm f/2.0, SMCT 50mm f/1.4 and OM family that I'm willing to put in front of the film...

What do you think will give the best results?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Picked up a couple rolls 35mm 100TMAX today... I've got a Zeiss 50mm f/1.5, Leitz 50mm f/2.0, SMCT 50mm f/1.4 and OM family that I'm willing to put in front of the film...

What do you think will give the best results?
    1385 posts and still chasing that ever illusive magic bullet, eh?

Eenie, meanie...
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    1385 posts and still chasing that ever illusive magic bullet, eh?

Eenie, meanie...
    You ever get the feeling that what you've been looking for has been in front of you all along?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You ever get the feeling that what you've been looking for has been in front of you all along?
    Oh yeah, regularly.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
    ....... I wonder if the best 35mm lenses resolve "better" than the "best" medium-format lenses (or if that metric really matters....).
    The answer is no, not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    And some of the best Zeiss lenses for 35mm (Contax 50mm f1.4 IIRC) could resolve 135 lp/mm, if not more. The problem becomes with 35mm that the lenses may have super-high resolving power, but it eventually gets past the ability of the film to record... you can't really take advantage of that resolution if you're not shooting say Velvia or Kodachrome 25. A 400 speed film's grain will undermine that resolution.
    Zeiss Camera Lens News No. 24 Feb 2006 - Zeiss Biogon T * 2,8 / 25 ZM in combo with Spur Orthopan UR film reached 400 lp/mm @ f4;
    The diffraction limit of white light at f4.

btw: Velvia or Kodachrome 25 have no chance. Back in 1996 at Photokina, Zeiss displayed The sharpest color photos ever taken.. 200 lp/mm on Kodak Ektar 25 (now discontinued).

Some Zeiss lenses for Hasselblads have tested well into the 90 lpmm range at optimum apertures ; some Mamiya lenses also.
    Zeiss Camera Lens News No. 17 September 2002 - ...we examined Agfaortho 25, an orthochromatic black & white film from Agfa, featuring enormous resolving power and virtually no grain. Testing this film, we reached beyond 250 lp/mm using Hasselblad cameras with the lenses Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/60 and Zeiss Superachromat 5,6/250.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Right you are. Hence the "not really".

Thanks for pointing that out.

There's been for a long time a notion that MF lenses will not match or exceed 35mm format lenses, period. The reality is that quite a few MF lenses will match or exceed the resolution of some well-regarded 35mm format lenses. I just went back and looked at some tests of MF lenses, and some Zeiss and some Mamiya lenses resolve over 100 lpmm at some apertures. That is considered stellar in 35mm format, with most lenses not even achieving into the 90's.
    Not that resolution is the be-all and end-all, anyway, in any format. The beauty of MF and LF is due to so much more than resolution.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin