Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,132   Online: 840

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Medium format offers a 400% larger view over 35mm (based on 6x7 negs/trannies). It is a huge view. 5x4 is even bigger. 8x10 much bigger still. Lay out a 35mm neg frame next to a MF or LF sheet.
    Viewing is much easier too. A 3 to 4x loupé is the only thing required to judge sharpness and focus while a loupé up to 10 or 12x is needed for 35mm. Of course, there is a lot more room to consider composition and visual aesthetics in larger formats over the small and undeniably restrictive frame. But never think that 35mm doesn't have its strengths — like loading a film is a simple affair compared to the fumblefest of MF, LF!

For many years I printed Ilfochrome Classic prints from 35mm Velvia. Nothing, including larger formats on lesser media, has ever come close to these. Exposure is much easier in medium format, but much, much more precise manually (spot~) metered. Most people agree that MF and LF are formats for technical expression and mastery of the subject (especially large format). Where 35mm excels is in the speed and spontaneity of everyday life. It's ready the moment you pick it up: LF is not. Even MF cameras, with their often inherent lack of automation, require a structured approach to use, especially since there are typically 10 or 12 frames that could easily be laid to waste by bad decisions.

At the end of the day, however, it is the power of the photographer's subject, composition, technical mastery of, and knowledge of his equipment, and execution of the final print that determines what format is best for his or her needs. Not what others postulate that what works for them will work for others. It doesn't work that way.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thomas, that's partially why I like MF so much. Not too much spotting vs 4x5, and higher resolution and sharpness compared the 35mm. I swear by the M7II prints. They could be 4x5 according to most people who see them.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Advantages of MF over 35mm

I had an experience today that gave me a huge insight. Up until recently I've been shooting in good weather. I just spent the day out with Hurricane Sandy. I actually started with my Mamiya 7, had a camera raincover, realized, DUH I can't see anything through the cover as the viewfinder was covered, went back, grabbed the RZ67, shot off 2 rolls, but it was extremely heavy as I had to use the viewfinder with the rain cover instead of the waist level finder which is my preferred view with that camera, went back to the car, realized I needed my 35mm, rain resistant, accurate internal meter, fast frame, light(ish), admittedly I used both my 1V and my digital 5D (I couldn't change lenses in the hurricane and wanted wide angle AND Zoom).

Haven't processed anything yet, I'm too tired honestly, but I uploaded 3 of the digitalis if anyone is curious (please don't flame, it's within context).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23208896@N04/8136939354/

I'll link some film shots on another day.

Point is since no one has made a water resistant RF or SLR for MF (that I know of) there is certainly still a benefit to shooting 35mm, at least during hurricanes haha...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Stone,

Stay safe and dry... I guess your photo serves as an example of what kills DSLR's that film cameras typically can survive...

Among my regrets is not offering to buy a waterproof housing for a Rolleiflex that I saw at a garage sale. Beautiful hunk of what I can only describe as a deep-sea diver's bell helmet.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Stone,

Stay safe and dry... I guess your photo serves as an example of what kills DSLR's that film cameras typically can survive...

Among my regrets is not offering to buy a waterproof housing for a Rolleiflex that I saw at a garage sale. Beautiful hunk of what I can only describe as a deep-sea diver's bell helmet.
    Ironically my 5D is sitting in rice right now as when I got home it said "error" so, the water seals might not have been as good as my 1V film camera.

That's a serious regret... If I had an underwater housing for either of my Mamiyas (or canons) I would still be outside with 3200 B&W and a tripod...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Jason,

I fully understand your view. For me, it isn't difficult to get satisfying print quality from any format, and while I am discerning about print quality, none of the extra work is ever allowed to stand in the way of making the picture.

Additionally, I feel that I end up with better prints from 35mm often, because the small negative makes me work harder, and in my opinion it shows in the prints.

I do like putting a 4x5 negative in the enlarger, however, but I do not enjoy spotting the print, something I rarely have to do with 35mm, even in 16x20 prints.
    Agreed, spotting blows.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    That we are comparing 20 square inches of pretty sharp film to one or a couple square inches of really sharp film is something to consider. Inch for inch my 4x5 may not produce the same sharpness as a really good 35 set up, but then again, it doesn't really have to. With my 4x5 or 8x10 if I'm doing things right I don't need to think about sharpness, and I get to concentrate on other things that are more important to me than eeking out everything I can get from an emulsion.
    Once upon a time, when I was shimming a new GG/Fresnel into place in my Super Graphic, I did a little comparison between my cameras. Wollensak Optar 135mm to Nikon 50mm, 4x5 to 35mm, slightly wide to normal. I had a clear view across an empty lot of a building a bit over 500ft away. Halfway inbetween is a brick building. Comparing the two, I could not see the individual bricks in the building halfway over in the 35mm negative. With the 4x5, from 500ft away, I could count all the bricks, and even the spokes in a bicycle wheel in the window. Those bicycle spokes only show up when the print size is at least 16x20.

So it's not just lp/mm that's important, it's the whole scene of it. Yes, I'm sure that the Nikon lens might beat the Optar on a test chart, but I don't go about photographing test charts for pleasure, and I really don't know if it does or doesn't. What I do know is that when the scene is on 20sq/in instead of a bit over 1-1/4sq/in, the detail is going to be there, nearly regardless of the lens.

So of course LF lenses loaf along, they just have lots and lots of room to play with! Honestly, I am comfortable with a 2mm crop from an 8x10, using my Wollensak 6-1/4 lens. That's my avatar picture, in fact, clouds reflected in a window across the street. If I posted a Minox-size crop and didn't say anything, you might think it was from a Minox instead of an 8x10.

And of course if you want to run a lot of shots on the Graphic, you'd better have a few Grafmatic holders at the ready! Or for the same situation use a Canon EOS-1V.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which is a better vehicle? A two seater sports car? A family station wagon? Or a step van delivery truck (ok lorry for some folks)?

Depends on the objective of the driver. All objectives that aren't immoral are legitimate in my mind.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't get the thing about spotting, unless you are talking about dealing with black spots from dust on sheet film. Dealing with those other than digitally is enough to make a grown man weep no matter which of a few difficult techniques you use.

But with clean film, I have fewer regular white dust specks from dust on negatives when printing from 4x5 than I do from smaller formats or, more accurately perhaps, the smaller magnifications make them unnoticeable. I just don't have a problem with dust in printing.

Dust on sheet film at exposure, well I've gone from it being rare to ruining more shots than not, depending on method, environment, and luck.

Images
    A medium camera will communicate to the opposite sex a level of confidence in your abilities that could never be gotten with a 35mm, no matter how long and wide the lens is. So if you are looking to pick up chicks or land a guy the MF camera will do better than a 35mm.

LF is the REAL chick magnet.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin