Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,054   Online: 833

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    I know quality is not the prime consideration sometimes, there are so many other things that make a photo great but I was using this as an exercise to judge when to take a 35mm outfit out with me vs the heavier medium format.
    When you mention quality, I would suggest that it is a different quality rather than better or worse. A factor that has not been mentioned so far is the different optimum viewing distance for a given print magnification from the original format and my preference is for 35mm.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    I have to agree, I have some fantastic 12"x16" prints on my kitchen wall made from 35mm Velvia 50 transparencies. They really are extraordinary considering the degree of enlargement. If they were there on their own, I would be delighted with the quality. The problem is they're next to 12"x16" prints made from 6x7 velvia transparencies. If you're about eight feet away, the difference is marginal, at four feet the difference is obvious and at two feet you start to wonder how a little rectangle of film can hold that much information. Don't get me started on 4x5 guys, I can't afford it!
    I have some prints - Cibachromes - made from 6x7 Kodachromes. I wish I'd made more when the Ciba stuff was available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what was the surprise?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You likely aren't going to really appreciate the difference in a mere 8x10" print, but enlarge to 16x20 and larger and the difference becomes quite obvious!

Since the same subject covers more film area on a larger format, you have less graininess, better tonal gradation and color gradation visible from medium format when viewed at the same final size.

I once was enrolled in a workshop at the local community college, and we would have slide viewings of three shots from each class member. I shot in medium format, and the ooh's and ahh's from the class were notable when my slides were projected because of reduced graininess and better tonal and color representation, and the instructor (who was a contemporary of Ansel Adams) used that as an opportunity to tell the class about the reasons for the visual impact of the larger format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the bigger negative is easier to retouch -- mask, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Negative real estate is the main factor.. how much information you can cram in a given amount of space that will transalte into details.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot both 35mm and medium format. For me, the larger the format the slower I work. So this is one aspect. As for print quality, the pay off is when you print larger than 8x10. I made an 8x10 print from my 35mm neg of Ankor Wat in Cambodia. I have a tough time distinguishing the quality some shots I made with my 120 camera. I shot 35mm Fuji Acros souped in Xtol. My Canon F1 I feel the most comfortable with and I tend to shoot more film than my Zeiss Super Ikonta IV.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Advantages of MF over 35mm

Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    It's impossible to get the shallow DOF on 35mm that I can get with the Contax 645 at f/2 and still retain a really sharp image.
    Think about what you're saying here. The Contax normal lens is 80mm? At f/2 that's a 40mm aperture. If you use a 50mm lens at f/1.2 you have the same depth of field, because that's also a 40mm aperture. Exactly.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Think about what you're saying here. The Contax normal lens is 80mm? At f/2 that's a 40mm aperture. If you use a 50mm lens at f/1.2 you have the same depth of field, because that's also a 40mm aperture. Exactly.
    ^
    Assuming 20/20 visual acuity for the observer,...
    • 645 format 80mm f/2 focused at 10m has DOF zone of 1.15m
    • 135 format 50mm f/1.2 focused at 10m has DOF zone of 1.02m

4.7" shallower DOF zone for the 135 format shot with those two lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Advantages of MF over 35mm

Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    ^
    Assuming 20/20 visual acuity for the observer,...
    • 645 format 80mm f/2 focused at 10m has DOF zone of 1.15m
    • 135 format 50mm f/1.2 focused at 10m has DOF zone of 1.02m

4.7" shallower DOF zone for the 135 format shot with those two lenses.
    And that really matters in your pictures? 80/2=40. 50/1.2=41.6. In practical terms that's identical.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 09-29-2012 at 11:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin