Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,615   Online: 1074

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even at the smallest medium format negative size, 645, the quality difference between 35mm and medium format is apparent to me. The grain is minimized and the image seems so much more real, especially with a color negative. 35mm is still great for sheer convenience, though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I recall being told something to the effect... I think it was William Neill, or at least the day I was being taught this lesson I saw some of his chromes... The photographer showing 6x7 or 4x5 transparencies to the buyer, if the subject is the same, will win the sale over 35mm slides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Think about what you're saying here. The Contax normal lens is 80mm? At f/2 that's a 40mm aperture. If you use a 50mm lens at f/1.2 you have the same depth of field, because that's also a 40mm aperture. Exactly.
    Well, pretty close: 41.66mm
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can make mistakes and still have a presenatble 8x10 darkroom print with 6x7 medium format. 35mm has less margin for error.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    ... but I was using this as an exercise to judge when to take a 35mm outfit out with me vs the heavier medium format. Really I was using it as a justification to myself and to my familiy why I was lugging around the RB67.
    Have you considered a lighter camera? A TLR weighs two pounds, and a Holga weighs only 8oz. A nice Yashica won't hurt your pocketbook, and there are many for sale. The RB67 isn't exactly designed for toting around for snapshots.

But as for which format is "better," I think you already know that. 16x20 contact prints. Or a Minox. Something like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A compact medium format folder is the perfect compact camera for walks, hikes etc.. Any other medium format camera steals the joy, being outside, having fun...
    Well, if the fun is taking photos then gazing at the enlargements.., then You already got Yourself the perfect RB67.
    35mm is a fluid format, its cinematographic. It asks for skills. Large formats asks for big ego.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like where this thread is leading. There are many reasons to ponder including technical, desired final printed format, subject matter, and realistic ergonomics / tradeoffs. It is helpful to consider the factors clearly in selecting a camera system for the shoot. The result is then proper alignment of selected system to final result and harmony between the photographer's intent and final result. And taking an extreme example, even if one encounters a 'target rich' environment armed with every conceivable option of a camera system, the disruption of going to different format and mechanics would likely produce a lower yield of keepers and detract from the zen like experience and flow. And isnt that part of the pleasure of photgraphy as well? In the end, whether having one reasonable system for your expression or many simply affords choices. But it is equally untrue that joy is derived from selecting the best technical solution as it is from having an abundance of systems from which to choose. Rather, as in most things, fulfillment often comes from the application of what you have in hand and appreciation of what is does. Let occassional twangs of perceived regret fade into the mist and seek peace.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think what you're saying, is "Love the one you're with."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is great, it's just what I needed which was the incentive to get out more with the RB67. Sure there are lots of times that 35mm will be more practical, but the sheer beauty of a 6x7 piece of film is hard to beat when you can get away with it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sharris View Post
    ...fulfillment often comes from the application of what you have in hand and appreciation of what is does...
    sharris,

This makes a lot of sense.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin