Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,517   Online: 897

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The Xenar is even a further development from the triplet than the Tessar. The Xenar even got a further 5th lens and improved speed in those days.
    You might be referring to the Xenator, not the Xenar? My understanding is that the Xenator is the 5-element lens (Gauss-type design?) and the Xenar is the 4-element lens (Tessar-type design).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Nothing personal but I sometimes get pissed off when people tell me, "I don't have any money," while they are sitting there stuffing their face with pizza, beer and cigarettes!
    Roger Hicks used to tell the story about the person at a camera club who admired his Leicas and said "I wish I could afford cameras like that" then drove home in his brand new car.

It's usually just priorities.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Can you tell me what is the "Tessar" look? Is it so obvious that you can tell for sure "This picture was taken with a Tessar, this one with a Cooke triplet, this one with ... (you name it)"? If not, I encourage you the revise your comment.

Take care.
    No revision.

Given enough practice with it, I'm sure I could. Every lens I've ever owned has had a personality.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    No revision.

Given enough practice with it, I'm sure I could. Every lens I've ever owned has had a personality.
    Go ahead, make my day!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Roger Hicks used to tell the story about the person at a camera club who admired his Leicas and said "I wish I could afford cameras like that" then drove home in his brand new car.

It's usually just priorities.

Steve.
    There was this girl in the office where I worked who always complained that she didn't have a Rolleiflex like mine. I told her to save up her pennies and she would always whine about not having enough money.

All the while, she would be grazing from a bag of Doritos and sucking down bottles of Diet Coke.

I asked her how much her snacks cost: $2.99 for a king sized bag of Doritos and another $2.99 for a 2-liter bottle of Coke... Times 5 days a week. Add another $5.00 a day for cigarettes. That's over $50.00 a week just on junk.

I told her, point blank, that she could have an extra $200 to spend if she just quit eating junk. Inside of two months, she could have a right-fine camera and still have money left over for film. Instead she just ate like a cow and bitched all day.

After a while, I just quit talking to her all together.

You're right. It's all in your priorities.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    You might be referring to the Xenator, not the Xenar? My understanding is that the Xenator is the 5-element lens (Gauss-type design?) and the Xenar is the 4-element lens (Tessar-type design).
    Point of correction: Xenotar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverman View Post
    "Can't offord a Rollei"...

So how about something else with a tessa, like a zeiss ikonta folder, I love the look of the tessa pics I've seen and would love to emulate the result.
    any other ideas.
    Point of correction: Tessar.

If your goal is to experience the results from a Tessar design lens then sure, why not. A folder is going to handle a lot differently, as will a press camera or view camera... each of which can give you a "Tessar experience" if that's what your after. Just make sure that it has a Zeiss Tessar lens (or equivelent) on it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Depends on which Rollei, doesn't it? Is it a new model for over $5,000, or is it a 1951 Rolleiflex MX-1, for quite a bit less? There's plenty of other TLR models out there, too. But really, can you tell the difference between "sharp" and "sharp?" How about telling the difference between a Schneider and a Zeiss? I mean by looking at the print, not the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my highly personal view the best Tessar you can find for the money must be the Rolleicord Xenar. It's a fabulous lens. Very sharp stopped down and slightly soft for your portraits when opened up. I had a Flex with a Planar but sold it because I couldn't find any added value compared to my lowly 'Cord.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rolleiflex automat mx is tessar equipped and can be found in the $200-300 range. It's a steal. It's a solid camera with a good name and great lens. Nothing wrong with rolleicords either. it's the planar equipped rolleiflexes and collectible models that are unaffordable.

Triplets are great for people pictures; sometimes a little softish on the edges. I have a yashica-C TLR with triplet and I like it, but it's not as good at 16x20 sized landscapes as the rollei tessar, still far from lomo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin