Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,650   Online: 886

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would recommend a Rolleicord Vb with Xenar. Otherwise, Rolleiflex T. How much are you able to spend? Meopta Flexaret may be a good alternative if you really need to save money.

Shooter
    35mm
    KEH has a Rolleicord V / Xenar right now for $280 in BGN condition. There you go!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    There was this girl in the office where I worked who always complained that she didn't have a Rolleiflex like mine. I told her to save up her pennies and she would always whine about not having enough money.

All the while, she would be grazing from a bag of Doritos and sucking down bottles of Diet Coke.

I asked her how much her snacks cost: $2.99 for a king sized bag of Doritos and another $2.99 for a 2-liter bottle of Coke... Times 5 days a week. Add another $5.00 a day for cigarettes. That's over $50.00 a week just on junk.

I told her, point blank, that she could have an extra $200 to spend if she just quit eating junk. Inside of two months, she could have a right-fine camera and still have money left over for film. Instead she just ate like a cow and bitched all day.

After a while, I just quit talking to her all together.

You're right. It's all in your priorities.
    Yes you are both right, it is about priorities, no I don't smoke neither do I go out all weekend drinking beer or sit stuffing my face with pizza etc. As for cars, I don't have a new one of those either!!!! What I do prioritise is getting both of my step kids through university, I trust this is an important enough priority to not be able to afford a Rollie. Rant over !!!!!!!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Originally Posted by AgX

The Xenar is even a further development from the triplet than the Tessar. The Xenar even got a further 5th lens and improved speed in those days.
    You might be referring to the Xenator, not the Xenar? My understanding is that the Xenator is the 5-element lens (Gauss-type design?) and the Xenar is the 4-element lens (Tessar-type design).

I beg your pardon! The Xenar is most known in the Tessar-type version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverman View Post
    Yes you are both right, it is about priorities, no I don't smoke neither do I go out all weekend drinking beer or sit stuffing my face with pizza etc. As for cars, I don't have a new one of those either!!!! What I do prioritise is getting both of my step kids through university, I trust this is an important enough priority to not be able to afford a Rollie. Rant over !!!!!!!
    I'm glad you don't smoke. It's good that you don't drink too much and that you keep your snacks to a minimum.
    Applause to you for having better resolve than I do.

I'm sorry I couldn't express my thoughts in a way that don't sound so negative.
    My examples were meant to be generic, not to imply that you smoke, drink and mismanage your budget.

My story was specifically targeted at the girl in my office. I tried to help her get a camera. I even searched Ebay and found a nice Pentax with a lens included for under $100 yet she still insisted on complaining.
    Yes, every day she ate a bag of Doritos and a bottle of diet coke.

It's my fault with letting my frustration with one less-than-intelligent person spill over in your direction.
    I thought you would understand it as an example and not as a personal indictment.

Sorry...
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Why this fixation on Tessar? Are the other optical formulas not able to give a picture? I had by the past a Ricohflex (triplet lens) giving very nice results save the light coating... Same thing with an Ikoflex... The most important with these cameras is to make sure they are fine tune and that what you see is what you get (i.e., both viewing and taking lenses are matching). This is a prerequisite for fully using lens capabilities.

Take care.
    Dude, what's that attitude with replying other member's Q? If you don't understand the Q then you don't need to reply. Save some bandwidth there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dude (to be at your level of courtesy), could you please remind us the original questiom? Ah yes, "I love the look of the tessa pics I've seen and would love to emulate the result". Wanna elaborate on "the look of the tessa pics" or am I too idiot for your Highness?

Shooter
    35mm
    Now you're speaking courtesy eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Are the other optical formulas not able to give a picture?
    What's your point in asking that kind of question? Are you trying to say OP is an idiot? It is clear that he loves Tessar regardless what's the reason. Now if you don't know what's the reason go ask him in a polite manner. And if you hate Tessar and love your ricohflex you don't need to reply.
    Tsk...tsk...tsk some people are really grumpy here. I don't know if their cat stole the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I beg your pardon! The Xenar is most known in the Tessar-type version.
    I am getting confused, AgX. When I refer to a Xenar in this context, I am referring to the lens installed on Rolleiflexes and Rolleicords. To the best of my knowledge, these were ALL 75mm, f/3.5, 4-element "ZTessar-type' lenses. Did a different style of Xenar get used on Rollei cameras?

And did the label 'Xenar' mean different things at different times or on different cameras? I know that lenses called Xenar were used on some Kodak Retinas, for example. And that there are large-format Xenar lenses. Are some of these Xenars a differnt configuration that isn't "Tessar-type"?

Kodak had a variety of lenses called 'Ektar' but this didn't mean a specific optical design. Is Xenar used in this manner? Or did the optical design get changed by Schneider after Rollei wasn't using them? Or, maybe yet, there ARE Rolleiflexes or 'Cords with a newer Xenar design?

Not trying to be confrontational, trying to learn. Your response is tantalizing but confusing. Thanks.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems that in the mid-50's all Xenars slower than f3 were of the Tessar type and the ones faster than f3 of the 5-lens type (with an additional meniscus between the two front lenses).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin