Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,932   Online: 805

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    I am getting confused, AgX. When I refer to a Xenar in this context, I am referring to the lens installed on Rolleiflexes and Rolleicords. To the best of my knowledge, these were ALL 75mm, f/3.5, 4-element "ZTessar-type' lenses. Did a different style of Xenar get used on Rollei cameras?
    Yes, all Xenars for the Rollei TLR's were of the four element design. 3,5/75 (and a few 4,5/75 for the late Rolleicord II).

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    It seems that in the mid-50's all Xenars slower than f3 were of the Tessar type and the ones faster than f3 of the 5-lens type (with an additional meniscus between the two front lenses).
    Not really, Schneider also made four element f:2,9 and f:2,8 Xenars during the same period, so it's confusing. The five element Xenar was made in 50 and 75mm focal lenghts and the production started in 1935/36. I'm not sure if they still made them in the 1950's? The 2,8/50 Retina-Xenar from the 50's has four elements.

I was surprised when I found that the 2,8/50 Xenon on my pre-war Retina has the five element Xenar design. Even though it's uncoated it's much sharper at larger apertures than the coated post-war four element 2,8 Xenar.

The five element 2,8 Xenar and 2,0 Xenon:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5471240392_e2cf8fea9e_z.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	57939

The Patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/US2105...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by JPD; 10-01-2012 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: Can't afford a Rollei

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Triplets are great for people pictures; sometimes a little softish on the edges. I have a yashica-C TLR with triplet and I like it, but it's not as good at 16x20 sized landscapes as the rollei tessar, still far from lomo.
    I wouldn't generalize so much...
    While it's absolutely true that cheap triplets, specifically built as low cost alternatives, don't stand big enlargments as much as a Planar or Xenotar (and also the best Tessars), there are very good triplets which are very desiderable lenses even by today's standards.
    Of course none of them was ever fitted to a Rolleiflex, but i have read of other alternatives in this thread, so i guess that i'm not going totally off topic.
    There are medium format folding or reflex cameras with very good triplets, like a Meyer Trioplan, and with some luck you could even find one with the best of the breed, a coated TTH Cooke lens.
    A nice Rolleflex with Planar would come cheaper though, as i jave just seen a coated f/2.8 5" Cooke triplet being sold for about 1400 USD on Ebay!
    The fact that some of those lenses are still used to shoot 35mm footage for big budget movies speaks volumes about their quality...

I love some triplets for their flexibility (optical "signature" wide open is different from when the lens is stopped down).
    Whatever... optical quality has more to do with tight mechanical tolerances, the use of computers to optimize old projects, and the introduction of better coatings, than with the type of optical layout.

Sent from my Android tablet
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    Now you're speaking courtesy eh?

What's your point in asking that kind of question? Are you trying to say OP is an idiot? It is clear that he loves Tessar regardless what's the reason. Now if you don't know what's the reason go ask him in a polite manner. And if you hate Tessar and love your ricohflex you don't need to reply.
    Tsk...tsk...tsk some people are really grumpy here. I don't know if their cat stole the camera.
    Are you a forum moderator? No, so what is your point and what is your contribution to the post? Saving some bandwidth applies to others, not you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberjunkie View Post
    I wouldn't generalize so much...
    I love some triplets for their flexibility (optical "signature" wide open is different from when the lens is stopped down).
    Whatever... optical quality has more to do with tight mechanical tolerances, the use of computers to optimize old projects, and the introduction of better coatings, than with the type of optical layout.

Sent from my Android tablet
    Quite right but don't say it too loud... People prefers "high-end" cameras, let's keep it that way...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Are you a forum moderator? No, so what is your point and what is your contribution to the post? Saving some bandwidth applies to others, not you?
    Nope, he's not, but I am. How bout you guys both knock it off, no further comment needed. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberjunkie View Post
    very good triplets, like a Meyer Trioplan, and with some luck you could even find one with the best of the breed, a coated TTH Cooke lens.
    The Meyer Trioplan is awesome. I have two for LF. Very smooth and I don't care if it's not the sharpest lens ever as I only enlarge 2-4x on 4x5 film. It's just real nice and my first choice of lens for 210mm range. (Second is my fuji tessar) I've got a plasmat nikkor I should sell because it doesn't get used like the Trioplan and Tessar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yashica Mat's are great.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin