Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,220   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Can't afford a Rollei

So how about something else with a tessa, like a zeiss ikonta folder, I love the look of the tessa pics I've seen and would love to emulate the result.
    any other ideas.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are cheaper offerings which will give similar results to the Tessar lens. All are cheaper too. Have a look at the Minolta Autocord, Yashica Twin lens reflexes or even the MPP Autocord or Microflex. All will be newer than the Ikonta models and possibly a bit more robust too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minolta Autocord. Yashica-Mat with a Yashinon. Rolleicord with a Xenar. All are Tessar-type lens designs without the Tessar premium price.

Finding a folder with everything aligned and working can take some time.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    ...Rolleicord with a Xenar. All are Tessar-type lens designs without the Tessar premium price.
    The Xenar is even a further development from the triplet than the Tessar. The Xenar even got a further 5th lens and improved speed in those days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why this fixation on Tessar? Are the other optical formulas not able to give a picture? I had by the past a Ricohflex (triplet lens) giving very nice results save the light coating... Same thing with an Ikoflex... The most important with these cameras is to make sure they are fine tune and that what you see is what you get (i.e., both viewing and taking lenses are matching). This is a prerequisite for fully using lens capabilities.

Take care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Why this fixation on Tessar? Are the other optical formulas not able to give a picture? I had by the past a Ricohflex (triplet lens) giving very nice results save the light coating... Same thing with an Ikoflex... The most important with these cameras is to make sure they are fine tune and that what you see is what you get (i.e., both viewing and taking lenses are matching). This is a prerequisite for fully using lens capabilities.

Take care.
    Why do I like my Holga, my Petzval on 4x5, or my 150sf on my Mamiya?

Why do I like FP4 over Delta 100 and Delta 400 over HP5?

Different lenses and films actually impart specific looks and effects into a photo.

If I want the look a Holga gives me, why would I want to start with a Lieca?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't afford a Rollei
    Even Rollei's can be found cheap sometimes.

I found a quite nice condition 2.8c Xenotar on my local Craigslist for $120, it even came with filters, Rolleikin and some other stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar at a farm auction for 42.50 a couple months ago. Came with a very nice brown strap, prism ( I sold the prism on ebay) and a lens cap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't afford a Rollei
    Yes you can! It's called "Coffee Can Economics."

Get an old, empty coffee can.
    Put it some place where nobody can get into it like the top shelf of your closet.
    Every week, take $10 out of your paycheck and put it into the can.
    Every night when you come home from school or work, empty the spare change out of your pockets and put it into the can.
    Drink one less beer on Friday night and put the money you would have spent into the can. (Or better yet, quit drinking beer and save even more money! )
    Quit smoking and put the extra money into the can. What other crap do you waste money on? Why not save it? Put it in the can!

You'll be surprised how fast the money piles up!
    Even at $10 per week, that's $100 in 10 weeks. At $20/week, that would be $200.

I bought my last car with coffee can economics. I was able to afford a brand new car instead of a crummy, used car because I saved up every last spare penny I had for over a year.

If you want it bad enough, you can afford it! Just save your pennies!

Nothing personal but I sometimes get pissed off when people tell me, "I don't have any money," while they are sitting there stuffing their face with pizza, beer and cigarettes!
    If they would quit eating like a pig, drinking like a fish and smoking like a chimney they might have some more money!

Okay... Done ranting... Sorry...

Still, if you really want a camera and you start saving today, you can easily have enough money to get one by Christmas. Valentine's Day at the very latest.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Why do I like my Holga, my Petzval on 4x5, or my 150sf on my Mamiya?

Why do I like FP4 over Delta 100 and Delta 400 over HP5?

Different lenses and films actually impart specific looks and effects into a photo.

If I want the look a Holga gives me, why would I want to start with a Lieca?
    Can you tell me what is the "Tessar" look? Is it so obvious that you can tell for sure "This picture was taken with a Tessar, this one with a Cooke triplet, this one with ... (you name it)"? If not, I encourage you the revise your comment.

Take care.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin