Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,684   Online: 916

Shooter
    35mm

In search of source for missing screws on Yashicamat 124

Hi all,

My Yashicamat 124 has somehow managed to shed 3 of the 4 tiny screws holding the flip-up viewing hood down on the body (you can see them if you open the hood and look straight down from the top). This means the hood is wiggling back and forth dangerously and I know it's a matter of time before the last one gives.

Are there any good online sources of tiny screws such as these for camera repair purposes? I know I'm not finding them in yon typical hardware store.

Shooter
    35mm
    Take the last one out and measure it carefully.
    You may be able to find screws here:
    http://www.allerc.com/advanced_searc...screws&x=0&y=0

It's hit or miss, but I found one for my Nikon there. Your best bet is to identify thread diameter (M1.4 actually measures 1.3mm dia)
    and head type, order a few candidates and start trying them.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could also try Mark Hama to see if he might be willing to ship you the actual correct parts. Or maybe if you're in a position to do so, just send it in for a standard CLA and end up with both the installed parts and a spiffed up camera.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    The '124 has in fact been through Mark Hama's hands a few years ago. He was horrified at the condition of a couple internal parts (literally; who knows where this camera had been?) but repaired it to his usual exacting standards. I think I'll send him an email first and then try the other links for DIY in case he doesn't want to use his supply of parts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful with the screws. Japanese threads do not match American threads or British Whitworth threads. I'll see if

I can find a chart I have somewhere on the computer showing all three types.

Best regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Model railroad hobby shops have small screws that might fit.

One thing to watch out for: if you use a screw that is too long on one of the wind side holes, it will hit the mechanism and make the counter not work. Not certain which one it is, so just be safe and keep them both no longer than the one you have left.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Found it, check http://www.inlandpacifichose.com/Thread%20Charts.htm and click on Japanese.

Available in U.K. here: http://www.japanesescrews.com/

Best regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I've contacted Mark as the first line of defense and will update later. I did not know there were 3 thread standards!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thread types, we forgot metric threads, ha!

Good luck with your repairs. I also have a Yashica Mat 124G TLR.

Best regards,

/Clay

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin