Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,827   Online: 861

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei focusing screen: GG vs Fresnel & Maxwell

OK so I have a few Rolleis. I bought them used from keh.com and I believe that my Rollei's have two types of screens: ground glass focusing screens (MX-EVS, 2.8D) and fresnel focusing screens (2.8E, T).

I might be a ground glass type of person but prefer focusing on my older Rollei's than on my newer ones.

It seems that fresnel screens have more potential for brighter screens but I sometimes hear that they are harder to focus? Do Maxwell screens have less contrast than ground glass screens?
    Last edited by msbarnes; 10-01-2012 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I expect you'll get conflicting views on this. FWIW, my experience is that when I had the original screen in a Rolleiflex 3.5E replaced with a Maxwell screen, I found it brighter but harder to focus. The camera has since moved on to another home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    True. I might just see if anyone near me has a Maxwell Screen, then compare the brightness and contrast myself.

Cheaper and easier that way.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I expect you'll get conflicting views on this.
    And sometimes from the same person. Ten years ago I wrote on forums that I had no problem whatsoever focusing on the original GG's in my Rolleis. I could easily use the Rolleiflex Standard and Rolleicord I and Ia with their even darker screens. But that was ten years ago, and my eyes have gotten older since then. Focusing takes more time today.

I still feel that it's little easier to focus on the ground glass in my Rolleiflexes (with f:2,8 viewing lens) than on the (original) fresnel screen in my 3,5F even though the corners are brighter.

Since I'm also a collector I like my cameras to be as they were when they were made, with their original screens. It's easy to change screens in the 3,5F so I would like to try a Maxwell screen someday. But they are expensive. Maybe when my eyes get older, if Maxwell still is in business then...
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the Maxwell screen to have narrower field of view for the eye. If you use it with a prism you will love it.
    On the other hand, with a waist level finder you may find the screen darkening of center a bit easy.
    The center aids work great. Split and micro prisms are indispensable in some situations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a Rolleicord Va with the factory screen, and under anything other than bright exterior light it was impossible to see the corners of the viewfinder. I had a Maxwell screen installed (no split image rangefinder) and it was a revelation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > Maxwell screen someday. But they are expensive
    Try this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/270961635169?...84.m1439.l2649
    Very bright but slightly less sharp than an original 3,5f screen. It is a good replacing for an origial Cord V glass screen.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin