Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,488   Online: 1042

Shooter
    35mm

A few questions about Bronica ETR history

A while ago I bought an ETR body (the first generation). Listed as spares or repairs but turned out to be perfectly usable after a bit of twiddling. As I already had what I believe to be an early-type 120 back (single latch and with the flip-up tag for advancing film rather than the proper lever on the later backs) I'm looking to reassemble an original ETR kit alongside my ETRSi.

Firstly, were there any differences between the waist level viewfinders and winder cranks throughout the ETR production run? Mine lacked both, I've fitted a speed winder and spare unmetered prism to get it usable.

I'm given to understand that the first lenses for this system had a chrome ring on the front? What did the lens hood for the 75mm standard lens look like - all the ones I see listed are for the EII/PE lens?

What strap lugs fit? They look like the ones on the Hasselblad but I'm not sure whether Bronica made them in-house or bought them in? The ETRS and ETRSi use a completely different design.
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The lenses come in 2 filter sizes but in a few different models where coatings improved. The early series were chrome and black plastic M series had a filter size of 58mm. The newer lenses black plastic are 62mm in the P series. Hoods came in snap on rectangular plastic shaped as well as rubber colapsable.

Backs come in several updates. Not much has changed in how they work but surface appearance has changed slightly with single locks vs double latches n side winders. Otherwise they are all about the same. Oh and I believe there is a morized back as well you may want to look into, I've never had or used one.

Cranks are all about the same and are harder to find or expensive. Many people miss place them so they are lok socks in the dryer.. lost forever in a black hole with lots of battery covers, another lost item of who know where it went.

View finders haven't changed much but prisms have to a slight degree. They have meters n an automatic mode that will adjust exposures for you. The difference is the electronics in the meters as the glass is the same. I'd rather uise a hand held over metered prisms.

Take a look at KEH online catalog to find all the varieties of accessories and you will be amazed how much is avalable at bargain prices.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can confirm that a Hasselblad strap fits the lugs without much slop. I can't confirm anything else.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had a bit of a rummage about (and bought an MC 50mm f2.8 after a long search). It seems that the cranks and waist level finders didn't change (assuming the ETR I found listed on ebay was as original as claimed), chrome-rimmed lenses were indeed the norm.

The original 75mm lens will have to wait now as this month's budget went on the 50mm (more useful!) I now have 50/75/150/200mm for the system, the middle two are PE lenses while the 50 and 200 are MC. I know this plan will end with two 75mm lenses but hey, I want to reassemble an original outfit.

I have a bit of a mixture of kit as I bought an ETRSi with 120 back, 75mm PE lens, WLF and crank, then added a speed winder (which I suspect is older, it's just marked ETR though), an unmetered prism, then a metered prism, 150mm and 200mm lenses, and a couple of extra 120 backs.

Apparently there was an AE prism which worked fully with the ETR, but the AEII (and AEIII) only work fully with the ETRS/i. The AEII will meter on an ETR but you have to use it in manual mode and press the button on the front to meter - it won't switch on when you half press the shutter like it does on the ETRS/i. I tend to use Sunny 16 with reasonable levels of success, HP5 is very tolerant!
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple of places to look:

www.tamron-usa.com/bronica/etr_guide.asp
    Gives the history according to Bronica.

Also BUG, Bronica Users Group, in Yahoo groups.
    Jonathan Taylor, moderator, posted a complete list of every ETR lens ever made, with specs, etc.
    Includes the early silver nose ones. And the delectable Super Angulon Tilt-Shift.
    Click "Files" on the upper left of the main page, then scroll down slightly and you will see the list title.

EDIT: Adding link to Jos. Schneider archive about the 55mm Tilt-Shift:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/ar..._san_45_55.pdf
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-04-2012 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is also an Optec camera strap that fits the 'mushroom' lug on the ETR. They make two types, I can't remember the designation. You might give them a call or email.
    There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks. —Erwin Schrödinger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have one BOXED NOS original strap for ETR (NOT ETRS or ETRSi). PM me if interested. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format

A few questions about Bronica ETR history

Early prisms and WLFs had a different font for BRONICA on the front lip.
    My other camera is a Pentax

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin