Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,236   Online: 706

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    ...is it some form of inverse snobbery that some people think they are too clever to use them ?
    No. Some people just prefer not too. I don't see why it's such a big deal. Some people are able to get by just fine without them. I don't think those people deserve to be told that they're wrong because they don't do things the same as someone else.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Some people eat with their hands, some use fine silver and still others use a big old wooden spoon.

At least they eat.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig View Post
    No. Some people just prefer not too. I don't see why it's such a big deal. Some people are able to get by just fine without them. I don't think those people deserve to be told that they're wrong because they don't do things the same as someone else.
    It's not the fact they do things differently but the air of smug superiority that many of them have as if they're too clever/talented to use a light meter.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Iíve always thought of the ďSunny-16Ē rule as a way to get the exposure approximately right on negative film when the meter stops working, the battery fails, or I find that I forgot to pack the meter into the camera bag.

Itís also useful for folks with a simple meterless camera whose aperture and shutter speed can be adjusted, but donít own a meter.

For most folks this isnít a matter of feeling superior, but rather as a means to correct exposure in those lighting situations that can be classified reasonably well in accordance to the Sunny-16 Rule. Itís particularly valuable in the full version that covers a variety of different lighting conditions and when a meter is unavailable or fails for some reason.

An example of this is given in post #9 wherein the film maker modifies the Sunny-16 Rule to favor moderate overexposure to help ensure that adequate shadow detail is recorded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was using "sunny sixteen" before most of my fellow members were born, but I still stand by what I wrote, I consider it an act of foolishness in this day and age.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I went on a slide bender today to get some of the fall colors on film. I was shooting a slow film (Provia 100F) under overcast skies, under the canopy. The camera was giving me exposure times around a second at f/22 (going for the blur on the one waterfall that was flowing because it's been so dry here). Far from simple full sun. I relied on my camera's meter. I'll find out when I get the slides back from the lab whether it metered okay. Chances are, it did.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I went on a slide bender today to get some of the fall colors on film. I was shooting a slow film (Provia 100F) under overcast skies, under the canopy. The camera was giving me exposure times around a second at f/22 (going for the blur on the one waterfall that was flowing because it's been so dry here). Far from simple full sun. I relied on my camera's meter. I'll find out when I get the slides back from the lab whether it metered okay. Chances are, it did.
    I'm not saying that light meters are infallible and their readings should be used without modification, I think their readings should be considered as a basis, in light of the photographers experience before making the exposure.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I was using "sunny sixteen" before most of my fellow members were born, but I still stand by what I wrote, I consider it an act of foolishness in this day and age.
    It certainly would be foolish if it weren't useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I personally like to use the Sunny 16 system because it allows me to carry and use cameras like my Leica IIIc without packing any additional equipment. It has nothing to do with being snobby or feeling better then anyone else. I just enjoy the spontaneity of the whole process. There are many who feel that those of us who still shoot film in this day and age are being "foolish" as well. Not only do I like using Sunny 16, I also enjoy working with the Zone System and using spot metering to help me place the particular light values in my image. When the light is difficult to read I personally have found that the most accurate metering system I can use is incident metering. Each method has its uses and to say that using any of them are an "act of foolishness" seems to be a bit silly.

But, to each his own. You no longer like to use Sunny 16 and you probably are not comfortable unless you are absolutely certain of the light in the scene you want to photograph. That is fine and it works for you. There are others who are just as happy with a Holga even though they aren't even certain that they will get a usable image at all. And some people are certainly experienced enough with their Holgas to get some awesome images. Fortunately there is room in photography for all of us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not the fact they do things differently but the air of smug superiority that many of them have as if they're too clever/talented to use a light meter.

hi ben

i use a meter when i am on a job for someone,
    and i am being paid to make perfect exposures &c ..
    but when i am just out doing whatever it might be
    that i am doing with a camera .. i don't bother
    bringing a meter mainly because i'm tired of using
    a meter and seeing i can pretty much look at the light
    and see what an average meter will give me
    i don't really see the point of using one ...
    besides the LF cameras i am using these days
    don't have more than 1 shutter speed and 1 aperture
    so it would be kind of a waste of time anyways ...
    i process my film bullet proof and print it with a 300 ( or is it 350? )W
    bulb and sometimes the sun so a little more or less light doesn't really
    make much of a difference ( for me at least ) ... or i shoot
    hand coated glass or paper negatives and my exposures are seconds,
    not fractions of seconds ...

not cleaver, talent ( maybe lack of it ? ) or smug superiority
    just the little rut i am riding at the moment.
    when i get bored again, maybe i'll use a different camera, and a meter ...

i figure if someone wants to use a meter, great, more power to them
    but if they don't ... good for them, they are learning about the light
    and that can't be bad ...

YMMV

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin