Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,284   Online: 970

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bracket, dude. Just bracket the h**l out of it. One of them is bound to work for you, probably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I think Sunny 16 is a really good tool. It IS accurate. Nobody can argue that.

But at the same time - it doesn't really matter. If you have a way of shooting that works, whether it's with a meter or without - why would it matter, as long as you get what you want? And I'm a strong believer in repeatedly using the same thing, because practice makes perfect, not gadgets and gizmos, or the lack thereof.
    Thomas, your a very wise man.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Incident meter with ISO 100 and see where the value falls on Sunny 16 calculator...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbjornda View Post
    Bracket, dude. Just bracket the h**l out of it. One of them is bound to work for you, probably.
    Not a fun idea for those of us using $7+ sheets of film! LOL!

But then, by the time one graduates to such film (11x14 B&W in my case), metering is usually no longer an issue...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2 years ago was kind of a photographic crisis point for me. It was either go whole hog in digital or whole hog in analog. At that point the realization came that I just hate the digital work flow. The answer was to get a mid-century folding 6x6 with zone focusing and 2 little pop-up squares to frame the scene, leaving the meter at home, and shooting entirely sunny 16 outdoors. It meant ruining a lot of film, but now I have hardly any use for a meter outdoors, and will oftentimes override the reflective meter in my 35mm. It really opened the doors to starting to understand light.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the sunny 16 rule (or an adjusted version if it's not sunny) when I don't have a meter with me (infrequent) or I need to get a shot quickly (semi frequent). I have found it to give perfectly useable exposures with black and white negative film. In an ideal situation I would use my incident meter or a spot meter but sometimes that's not always possible. So I find sunny 16 to be very helpful. One other trick I don't think has been mentioned makes it a little easier to calculate "sunny 16" quickly with larger apertures. Add a zero to the film speed at F5.6, ie 100ISO film is 1/1000, 400ISO is 1/4000.

Shooter
    35mm
    I only see sunny 16 as a guide point for exposure, generally don't use f16. But it's all simple math, ASA 100 = f16+1/125 or f11+1/250 or f8+1/500. If overcast f8+1/125 or f11+1/60 or f16+1/30, and so on. I call it all "sunny 16" because the starting point is ASA=shutter speed + f16 for mid day sun. If you really just stick to f16 and sunny days, then yes it is rather limiting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use sunny 16 as my "anchor" point. When I am working in daylight conditions, I estimate exposure using sunny 16, and then take a meter reading to either confirm it, or refine it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really think it is the most important and first thing that a person needs to learn in order to understand photography. Everything else grows out of it.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    Another advantage is that when you use it you begin pre-calculating exposure and using the light meter to refine it as Matt says. This has the advantage that if the ISO value is improperly set one can notice it immediately because the light meter gives values that don't fit with the mental calculation. People who shoot an entire roll and then realize the ISO was improperly set are not the people who use sunny 16.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin