Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,022   Online: 702

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Why am I reminded of the Zen/Taoist story "Three in the Morning, Four in the Evening"? LOL!

http://history.cultural-china.com/en/38History1039.html
    That's exactly what this feels like to me!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Works great as a reality check for your meter. Also, it is based on the latitude of Rochester, NY. Set shutter speed of 250 with Tri-X and develop per box time. Using the technique and preseting the F-stop frees the mind to see the decisive moment.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even Adams could do it. :P

See the description of making "Moonrise over Hernandez"
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Sunny 16.. very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    I've been using my great grandfather's Weston Master for about a year now.
    [...]
    Well, last week the meter suddenly stopped working... everything reads really low. I shot my last roll in my 120 folder using sunny 16 as a whim, but now it's not going to be by choice until I get a new meter or fix this one. Honestly, I'd be happier if my meter was still working. It has real sentimental value too... there's a sort of continuity to using a meter that was given to my dad by his grandfather....
    See if Quality Light Metrics can still fix it. If so it will come home with a calibration sticker guaranteed accurate.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Why am I reminded of the Zen/Taoist story "Three in the Morning, Four in the Evening"? LOL!

http://history.cultural-china.com/en/38History1039.html
    vaughn

you always have a way of putting it all into perspective

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    vaughn

you always have a way of putting it all into perspective
    Just trying to keep the my back parallel to the trees...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always found that Sunny 16 is accurate, although in the upper latitudes it is more like Sunny 11.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's a great guideline.

I like it more because it forces me to be cognizant of ambient lighting and changes, thus making me more involved in the photography. I enjoy the process of making a photo, perhaps more than the end result (which is often bad, lol). I like anything that helps me become more involved in that process (IE manual, analogue, mechanical cameras).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    See if Quality Light Metrics can still fix it. If so it will come home with a calibration sticker guaranteed accurate.
    Thank you very much for that tip, I will look into it!

I may have a go at fixing it myself... I've been reading about it and it's just a cell feeding a meter... but taking it apart is a bit tricky. I'll check your recommendation first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    I've been using my great grandfather's Weston Master for about a year now. When I first got it I compared it to my F3 and to my other unmentionable here camera and it was very close. Even though the dial is in Weston Emulsion speeds, I've enjoyed using it and have gotten used to it, and even "think" and make my notes in its units. I almost always do a "sunny 16 guess" before I meter and I'm usually within one stop and more often than not right on the money. Shady forest or evening is much harder and I'm really not very good at those situations. I almost always think there is more available light than there really is in those situations.

Well, last week the meter suddenly stopped working... everything reads really low. I shot my last roll in my 120 folder using sunny 16 as a whim, but now it's not going to be by choice until I get a new meter or fix this one. Honestly, I'd be happier if my meter was still working. It has real sentimental value too... there's a sort of continuity to using a meter that was given to my dad by his grandfather.

But I'm certainly not planning to stop just because I don't have a meter. I never had one when I was a teenager, and even though I worried about exposure a lot back then, most of my photos came out OK.

The difference between then and now is that now I can actually afford to buy a meter if I want one. So I'll just be grateful for that option and keep on having fun!

Unmentionable camera.....? Hahahaha... Is this serious? I thought Canon and Nikon would have this silly rivalry. Here, I said it. I have a Canon 30D as a backup body. My main body is a Canon 1d markIII with over $5k of lenses. I shoot paid gigs with my DSLR. In other times, I shoot with my medium format film body. Yashica Mat and soon to have Mamiya C330f.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin