Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,876   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

HASSELBLAD 500 CM - 3 VERTICAL LINES

Hi
    I get those strange 3 lines on some of my photos (sometimes you can see them and sometimes not, on the same roll).
    can someone help me with that?
    I saw people writing about lines on their hasssy photos but those look different from the one that are shown in the forum.
    I think that the lines are on the side of the pinning mechanism that holds the film.
    thnx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eilat_2012_2.jpg   Eilat_2012_4.jpg   Eilat_2012_21.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time for new light seals in the film back. It's fairly easy to do yourself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you sure these are on the negs? I've seen exactly the same things, but they're an artifact of the scanner (Epson V700), not the back.

See here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawhead/4392372380/

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Time for new light seals in the film back. It's fairly easy to do yourself.
    Light leakage due to defective light seals use to look completely different. The light traces normaly go sideways, not between top and bottom.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thnx
    you are right
    I have the same problem with my v750 (I'm so f***)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by slonimator View Post
    Thnx
    you are right
    I have the same problem with my v750 (I'm so f***)

One trick I learned through this whole snafu; when you have a shot like yours (and mine on my Flickr site), where you have a neg that is dense on top and thin on bottom––i.e., something like sunny sky on top and ground surface on the bottom, this problem is greatly reduced (sometimes to zero) by rotating your negative 180˚, so that the scan head hits the ground part first and the sky part next. From my understanding, it's the strong contrast between the edge of the dense part of the negative and the translucent part just outside the frame, that causes this banding. The problem is magnified it you use a film (like the Acros 100 I used) that tend to go entire clear during fix. Yeah it's ugly, but waddayagonna do?

Unless, of course, this new Plustek film scanner is good enough that I'd want to shell out 2000 clams to upgrade from my V700

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are the lines visible on the negatives?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is amvery common problem on the Epson 700 and 750 scanners. They are reflections bouncing around due to the multiple layers of glass. One way to allevite them is to tape the negs emulsion side down to the lower platen with thin hinging tape. I lay my negs down and tape one edge down, then i place a strip of tape on the opposite edge film rebate, and stretch it out and down onto the platen. Then change your scanner silverfast software to scan the Full film area with the little frame overlay they supply, and go from there. Its a way to get the best results i have managed with this scanner short of a better scanning film holder, even then reflections can still cause issues.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first neg. is left—right reversed, the Hasselblad frame marks should be on the left side. Perhaps you scanned emulsion up?
    Then the remark by Andrew of bouncing reflexions is valuable here too?
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    This is amvery common problem on the Epson 700 and 750 scanners. They are reflections bouncing around due to the multiple layers of glass. One way to allevite them is to tape the negs emulsion side down to the lower platen with thin hinging tape. I lay my negs down and tape one edge down, then i place a strip of tape on the opposite edge film rebate, and stretch it out and down onto the platen. Then change your scanner silverfast software to scan the Full film area with the little frame overlay they supply, and go from there. Its a way to get the best results i have managed with this scanner short of a better scanning film holder, even then reflections can still cause issues.
    Yep. What Andrew says works beautifully, and eliminates these problems for the most part. It's very annoying to spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of equipment that does this. I have noticed the following, in addition to what Andrew mentions:
    1. 'Shiny' emulsions, like TMax 100 and TMax 400 are far worse than something like Ilford FP4+. It's as though the emulsion side has the same glossy sheen as the film base side on these films, which makes sense they'd perform worse, since they would be another reflective surface.
    2. This happens with 35mm film as well. It is not isolated to 120 film. I just don't think the Epson V700/750 scanners are very well constructed machines for this reason.
    3. I've had it happen with C41 color film as well. Portra 400 among others.

Obviously, taping negatives to the scanner platen is a pain in the back side compared to using the film holders, especially if you have many negatives to scan. But it does work.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin