Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,781   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Rolleiflex 2.8C quirks

I just got a Rolleiflex 2.8C and I'm wondering if anyone else who has one has some tips on the quirks of this particular model. Most specifically, the shutter/aperture controls, and secondarily, the strap for the camera.

The aperture settings on my 2.8E have 2.8-4-5.6-8-11-16-22. The 2.8C shows ...8-11-.-22, with the dot being very close to the 22. Is f16 the dot? I assume you put the single line in the control window directly over the number to set for example f8, and to get f 8 1/2, you put the line halfway between the 8 and 11.

The shutter speed dial does not seem to have click stops (although this could just be another symptom of my particular example needing a serious CLA). I would assume the shutter speeds are not settable for in-between speeds, or am I wrong on this?

As for the strap, I have the traditional scissors-clip strap for my 2.8E. The 2.8C strap lugs are different, as are the guides, which don't seem to have enough space in them to fit much of ANY strap through. Is there some specific strap that goes on this camera, or am I just missing something about using the scissors clips?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I believe that the shutter speed is variable and is not clicked into the standard times.
    What you could do is compare side by side the fstops in your E with the C. Lock them both open in Bulb and make some note or mark or landmark where the C is about the same as the E at the various stops. Then you could go to the trouble of side by side film tests with a hand operated 1 second exposure to see if your marks are perfect.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My much older rolleiflex automat is the same, the speed dial/stops were the same on all the Rolleiflex, yes, the dot near the 22 is 16 and no you can't set speeds in between, on many german cameras of the era click stops for the shutter speeds were not there, and the line in the window is the set line, I suppose yes, you could approx 1/2 stop settings, by using the halfway setting, as far as the strap goes I can't help you, I don't use the original strap, prefering a wide strap for comfort Hope you get a lot of pleasure bout bof this rolls royce of cameras.
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Got any pictures to post of your camera. Love to see it. I was wondering about the "in between" option too. With my T .. I wondered if it makes a difference in floating the F stop between the numbers or if it hursts the camera. Good questions.

Todd B

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Richard-

as to the strap, I'm definitely looking to get an aftermarket strap for it, not that original piece of leather linguini. If anyone has a recommendation, I'm open to ideas (as I mentioned, I have an aftermarket wide strap for my 2.8E that fits it perfectly, but it doesn't fit this camera. So I'm looking for something that does).

ToddB-

I don't have any photos of this one yet- it just arrived yesterday. I'll wait to shoot it and post the photos until AFTER it comes back from the CLA. It needs a good overhaul.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I found the butkus manual. I have never seen a C in person. The dot before the f22 is f16. The shutter speed is variable when setting between 1 and 1/10 and also between 1/25 and 1/250. So that is to say you can set it at intermediate speeds. The 500th must be set before cocking the shutter.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The scissor straps do not fit the 2.8C (and possibly 2.8D). I have not find any myself but I believe Optech do make them. You must specify the model though to avoid disappointments.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a beautiful leather strap on the Bay for 19 and change for my T. It connects to the camera with those camera strap rings.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used an old strap that came with an old Pentax AF slr that never gets used, fits perfectly, but I should think that any strap as used in a modern slr should fit,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin