Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,022   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rollei 6008 ?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rollei 6008 ?

I'm thinking about buying a Rollei 6008 after seeing many beautiful images taken with these cameras, any advice/opinions and the pro's and con's from anyone who has owned one or indeed does still own one now ?
    Thanks in advance for any help as usual.

John.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pro: - Superb lenses and body
    - Rollei Quality
    - fastest shutter speed of any camera with leaf shutter 1/1000th not available with every lens
    - ergonomic dream

Con: Not as widely available and as common as Hasselblads and Mamiyas not at easy to get repaired
    fully electronic
    sometimes problems with the electronics

Personal opinion: one of the best MF cameras, prefer them to Hassy. The lenses are mostly the same just with different coating Rollei HFT vs Zeiss T.

Dominik

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't own one - I can't comment on features of the camera. But don't assume that it is the camera that took those pictures - it was the PHOTOGRAPHER. The Rollei, like all other cameras, is just a dumb box with a hole in one end to let light in, and a hole in the other to put that light on a piece of film. If the mechanical features/ergonomic design of the camera make it easier for you to put on film what you see in your mind's eye, then yes, get one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The batteries were problematic with my 6000 series. I also dislike the backs, much fussier to load than a Hasselblad.

The battery that came with the body I bought was bad, and finding one at a reasonable price was difficult. I rebuilt one battery with success, but it was a real PITA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Pro: - Superb lenses and body
    - Rollei Quality
    - fastest shutter speed of any camera with leaf shutter 1/1000th not available with every lens
    - ergonomic dream

Con: Not as widely available and as common as Hasselblads and Mamiyas not at easy to get repaired
    fully electronic
    sometimes problems with the electronics

Personal opinion: one of the best MF cameras, prefer them to Hassy. The lenses are mostly the same just with different coating Rollei HFT vs Zeiss T.

Dominik
    I had a 6008 Pro for about 10 years and agree with the above. The film loading was easy. I'd say that if the camera is functioning well it's a dream to use, but if develops mechanical or electronic problems could be a nightmare these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago I considered one. Went with the all-mechanical SL66 instead. No electronics to go bad, much more fixable, built like tanks. GREAT lenses.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would like to have one. Would get the 6008-I. I would love to have that HFT coated Xenotar.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm glad I kept mine. I got mine new back in the day, had an issue fairly quickly, repaired under warranty, then meter went out, (but otherwise camera functioned), Fixed, Battery died, rebuilt it with Ni-Mh cells (2x). Lenses cleaned a few times. I'm happy it works now, the 2nd re-cell brought it to a good state. I use a polaroid back with mine. Used to grind thru the rolls of E-6 shooting bikinis. You can see some shots done with the 6008i at
    http://four-silver-atoms.com/2011/03/02/ah-memories/
    Yes, sometimes they are fussy.
    When they work they work exceedingly well: Great glass, held accurately by a good transport, great meter, easy and fast loading (I know, words not usually associated with any 120 size film), fast motor, fast shutter response, bright finder, easy and fast mirror lock up, vibration-less shutter, 1/1000 flash sync is pretty nice. I really have enjoyed shooting mine, and when it didn't work I was kinda bummed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 6008 with grip and magazine is quite a beast and needs a big bag, even with only one lens.
    What are you prepared to carry - what have you carried until now?

Regards,

Sven

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Was just using my 6006 today. Excellent cameras, only two downsides I would consider: the battery may need to be rebuilt, which you should be able to have done for <$100, and if you use Ni-Mh cells they are better than the original nicads; the second is simply weight, these are heavy cameras, you pay a penalty for the built-in motor. There are a bunch of plusses, already listed, but the most important, in my opinion, is that the optics are really excellent.
    Regards, Pete Lewin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin