Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,791   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Need a lens hood for Mamiya RB 65mm K/L lens...

Hi...

I just bought a Mamiya RB 65mm K/L lens which came without a hood.

I know Mamiya makes a square hood that fits over the front but they are fairly expensive at $35ish. Using a petal type after market hood that is supposedly made for wide angle actually caused vignetting. Is there any particular type and brand someone here can recommend out of experience?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm using a generic metal screw-in hood on my 45mm for 645 presently, and had an equivalent hood for my old 65mm on RB when I was using that system. Unfortunately, I can't find a good source in the US and bought the one I have now at Yodobashi camera in Tokyo.

You can get the B+W version in 77mm to fit your 65mm at B&H here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...etal_Wide.html

It's more expensive than the rubber hood, but has the major plus of not being rubber.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow.... that's expensive! Thanks though. I kind of prefer a rubber kind. Doesn't dent and if I hit something, it will bend rather than transmitting the shock to the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whereas I'd rather protect the front element. To each his own.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had the Mamiya wide-angle rubber hood on my 65mm RB lens, and did not like it because it would sometimes slip off when I wasn't looking, and I'd have to backtrack to find it - on the beach, covered in sand, or in a pile of leaves (I used to take the RB kit on my hikes).

There are inexpensive $13 rubber wide angle hoods at B&H. I haven't used this particular size, but I bought the same hood in 49mm for my Fuji GS645s and it worked fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you.

I was wondering how the genuine one worked since the description simply says "slip on".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently picked up a 50mm lens and slip-on hood. I haven't really given it a field test but seeing this post I had a look. The slip on hood does seem to be easy to knock off, maybe only a couple mm of contact. Then I had a second look and the light bulb came on. The hood has a thin ring that prevents it from sliding on too far and helps line it up. Looking straight on from the front I noticed it did not block the filter ring threading. Yes, you can screw on a filter and "lock" the hood in place. So it seems it is possible to field proof the hood and add extra protection at the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Hi...

I just bought a Mamiya RB 65mm K/L lens which came without a hood.

I know Mamiya makes a square hood that fits over the front but they are fairly expensive at $35ish. Using a petal type after market hood that is supposedly made for wide angle actually caused vignetting. Is there any particular type and brand someone here can recommend out of experience?
    Generic colapsable rubber, $6.. 65mm isn't all that wide.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Always listen to Paul Ron!

I have Mamiya hoods for my 90 and my 180, but my 50mm came with a cheap hood. It screws onto the filter threads, just like the hood for my 90 and my 180. It doesn't collapse, but it's a wide hood, so there's not a whole lot to collapse. I don't know who made it, but when I get a chance, I'll dig it out and check for you, but I should just shut up because you just got a perfectly good response just above this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin