Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,573   Online: 1155

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Pentax 67 door hinge broken :(

Hi all,

I opened the door to my Pentax 67 and the lower hinge seized and then snapped off

Can anyone recommend a fix? Or do I need to buy a new body?

Thanks

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can free up the hinge, a tiny dab of JB weld between hinge and body should do the trick. There's not much strain on the hinge unless the back's open and you flex it up or down.
    Let it cure thoroughly before you close it though. Or else!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks John, I will give it a go. I am still waiting for the door to arrive, but I have noticed that the axel part of the hinge does not remove from the main camera hinge. So although the new door has two normal hinges intact, I have no way of getting the axel through the door hinges!!!!

This is a nightmare, I hope JB Weld will save me! If not then I am going to look for a door with the body hinge still attached.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a common problem, but moisture morphing to rust and seizing the hinge could potentially happen, and when forced — it breaks. When replacing it, a drop of dry teflon lube, such as that used on bike chains, is fabulous; the carrier will evaporate, leaving a super-slick teflon fix. The cover is removable because 67/6x7 bodies were sometimes fitted with 250 exposure backs (adding very considerably to an already bloated weight and size...).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Unfortunately the JB weld didnt work. I am scouring the internet to try and find a complete hinge+door. Not finding any though. Anyone have an old body sitting in a wardrobe somewhere????

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How about some pictures of this carnage? If we can see what happened maybe someone can better assist you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unless the body has sentimental value, another 6x7 is pretty cheap. KEH has one in "excellent" condition for $300.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about contacting repair people? They usually have junk bodies with good parts. They might even be able to do the work for you for a reasonable amount, part included.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all. I have ended up buying a 67 body on Ebay. That way i can wait for the right part to turn up and then have a second body. :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin