Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,750   Posts: 1,483,839   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    I thought all the Apollo ELs were left on the moon :-)
    It is also what I heard, only the backs went back on Earth (way better than the opposite, imagine...).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that they came back and got substantially parted out on refurb. Ron Mowray in his Kodak time acquired a part of a hasseblad that went up and back with Apollo.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see the added value for NASA to bring back cameras bodies and lenses. It is dead weight and weight is the ennemy in space (need energy to accelerate it). But I might be wrong...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    I don't see the added value for NASA to bring back cameras bodies and lenses. It is dead weight and weight is the ennemy in space (need energy to accelerate it). But I might be wrong...
    Some did come back. They did take pictures of the command module and LEM after jettison prior to re-entry for engineering purposes, so thay had to have at least one camera available in the CM. I suspect they had more than one for redundancy.

Anything that actually went to the moon got left there so far as I know. I don't even recall seeing a picture taken from the LEM of the CM during lunar orbit rendevous, but I've seem plenty of the LEM ascent stage taken from the CM. Seeing a picture of the CM taken from the LEM at lunar orbit rendevous would prove at least one came back from the lunar surface.

At this point I'm not sure even NASA could give a reliable answer. Everything is on paper somewhere in a giant warehouse if it wasn't already shredded.

tih
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the day, Hasselblad ran magazine ads offering free cameras - if you could figure out a way to fetch them.

-tih

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    "Schwing"..."This Hasselblad is worth $70,000".
    One of the neatest bits of advertising I recall from those days, advertising the Kowa 6x6:

"Our camera hasn't been to the moon, so it doesn't cost the earth".......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin