Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,455   Online: 1028

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also plan on getting a finder with a higher magnification, I'm considering a chimney magnifying finder or HC3 90º finder.
    - - - -------------------------------------- - - -
    mattbellphoto:
    @ Blogspot
    @ Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pekelnik View Post
    I have a (arax?) third party split-circle focusing screen on my 500 c/m and I have no issues focusing.
    Are you talking about the $15 screens from Araxfoto?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DSLR View Post
    Are you talking about the $15 screens from Araxfoto?
    Yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This could be a case of TLR-to-SLR-MF syndrome. Those TLR's with their leaf shutters give very sharp results with little effort, but MF SLRs need more attention to get the same sharpness. My first MF camera was a Yashica D that always focuses right, then I upgraded to Pentax 6x7 and got many out-of-focus shots especially the first few rolls. Now with extra effort the pentax is giving sharper results. So may be all you need is more time with the 500c until you figure it out. Or you can borrow a hassy and run a roll with it. If the results turn out to be good then you know for sure that your 500 is the culprit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When there is an issue with the focussing accuracy of a 500 C/M, and the focussing screen isn't wrongly installed and the optics are good, it is mostly due to a miss angled mirror.
    The mirror is held down by a little hook which is released by the second shutter release mechanism.
    This little hook is, to my humble opinion, somewhat 'insipidly' built and gets out of adjustment by use and wear.
    After faithful service for more than 20 years, Will van Manen (from Holland) had to calibrate the mirror angle of mine. Will, BTW, does a very good job in CLAting Hasselblad cameras.
    Don't try to do this your self, tools like a micrometrical table are needed to do this properly!

If your camera body is a 500 C/M, not just a 500 C, than install one of those (Minolta designed) Acute Matte-D focussing screens, which is easily done.
    All-tough not cheap, these are real marvels and worth there money (Will sells them at a rather fair price).

Be happy with your Hasselblad.
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The repairer/dealer I bought the camera from originally let me trade in my (faulty?) body for a newer ('86), cleaner body plus an Acute Matte screen for $150.

..But not before informing me that SLRs, especially medium format SLRs, will never be as easy to focus as rangefinders, and recommending I use a Mamiya 6 if quick and accurate focusing was my top priority. I don't doubt him, but I've never been too keen on RFs. And I want to stick with the system I've already invested in.
    mattbellphoto:
    @ Blogspot
    @ Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbellphoto View Post
    The repairer/dealer I bought the camera from originally let me trade in my (faulty?) body for a newer ('86), cleaner body plus an Acute Matte screen for $150.

..But not before informing me that SLRs, especially medium format SLRs, will never be as easy to focus as rangefinders, and recommending I use a Mamiya 6 if quick and accurate focusing was my top priority. I don't doubt him, but I've never been too keen on RFs. And I want to stick with the system I've already invested in.
    This is a good ending for you. Enjoy!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't read one other possibility but have you had your eyesight checked recently? I've had a few blown shots I *thought* were focused but it turns out my shooting eye is getting softer as I cruise past my mid 40's. My left and right eyes need different strength diopters so I can't focus on a waistlevel anymore.

Eric
    Last edited by epig; 11-17-2012 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typos! Not wearing my glasses while typing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have been struggling a bit with focusing my 500CM. It's easy enough on a tripod but when I try to shoot hand-held, especially wide open I find that I'm often missing focus. I am positive my kit would immensely benefit from a good CLA, but I figure to get everything done it's going to cost around $500-ish from Mr. Odess (if I want everything done). I know that I would honestly prefer the Mamiya 7 as a system as I'm more of a RF person at heart anyways, but I literally couldn't say no to this 'blad for the deal I got.

I don't particularly want to get a Prism for it as I like how compact it is with the WLF, but is there a better screen to buy that isn't horrendously expensive? The one I have right now is a plain matte with a large central microprism dot. I think I would like it better if it were brighter, or perhaps I just need to stop shooting in such low-light conditions! Ha (I'll leave that to my Hexar AF)
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Problem fixed.

My Hasselblad is as sharp as a tack now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8205097171_212d1970cc_b.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	508.5 KB 
ID:	60274
    mattbellphoto:
    @ Blogspot
    @ Flickr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin