Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,296   Online: 926

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thats great, but doen't do TTL flash. This is for a significant birthday, so I don't get to "upgrade" or sell it ever and want to get it right first time, but I hear what your saying.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I understand the desire for a new camera. That said, I ended up doing something in between.....I bought a body/viewfinder/back and 80mm completely overhauled from David Odess. Here in the States, he is considered one of the best Hasselblad service people. Right now he has a 503CX with waistlevel for $550. He has some backs, but only 40mm and 150mm lenses right now, though. Probably could get a whole 3 lens kit freshly rebuilt for $2500. Personally, I think a freshly overhauled camera would be more reliable than a new-old-stock camera that hasn't been used for several years....but it isn't new either....(: Choosing between the NOS camera and the millinium camera, I'd probably go new. It is, well, new and comes with a Hasselblad warrantee. I'm not a fan of fancy limited edition cameras. The Hasselblad is the camera I will take to my grave.....it is the perfect camera and you will love it no matter which one you get.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Hi,

I have a friend who runs a camera shop, and the distributor still has a new 503CW. I can get this with A12 for about $4K, which is good considering we have to pay 10% GST here.

My other option is the various MIB Milenium's available at some asian dealers for about $3k. The Milenium's pretty, but I'm thinking chances of getting a new blad are getting slimmer. Any thoughts?

Daniel.
    Daniel, do you shoot color or b&w? A lot of us speculate. Will color film be available 5-10 years from now? I doubt it. I do think b&w film will exist for quite some time, just like black powder for muskets.

Take this in consideration before you drop 4 grand. Personally, I would look for a much less expensive used Hasselblad camera.

Alan (a Hasselblad 500cm owner)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

New Blad vs 2nd hand

Have you even looked at the Mamiyas? To me buying a Hassy is like buying a Leica, you're spending an assload of money for the name, sure the quality is there, but even the used prices are ridiculously overpriced, and the poster above who said "it's a place to put your viewfinder" I mean, it's essentially a box with a mirror and you're willing to spend $4,00 on that! You're insane if you do....

Look at the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II's pretty sure they have ttl, you could buy the camera, 2-3 lenses, a metered prism viewfinder, and a 6x6 back that takes 120 AND 220 all for less than $1000 and trust me the lens quality on the Mamiya Sekor-Z lenses is just as good as Hassy's Carl Zeiss. I even researched it, the glass is just as good, sometimes better since its fully fixed.

Just a thought....

If nothing else at least follow the photographer axiom "put your money in the glass" buy a crappy used body and get a brand new perfect lens...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Stone makes a lot of sense.

I took a Hasselblad 500cm with an 80mm lens in as a trade for another camera because I had always wanted to try a Blad and I knew it would hold it's value. They are great cameras but are they worth the money?

I have also shot Bronica, Mamiya, and Pentax medium format cameras. You can make great images with any of them.

I like the Hasselblad for carrying around because it's lightweight and feels good in my hands. If I was using a tripod I would much prefer the Mamiya RZ67 that I used to own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    They are great cameras but are they worth the money?
    Yes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Daniel, do you shoot color or b&w? A lot of us speculate. Will color film be available 5-10 years from now? I doubt it. I do think b&w film will exist for quite some time, just like black powder for muskets.

Take this in consideration before you drop 4 grand. Personally, I would look for a much less expensive used Hasselblad camera.

Alan (a Hasselblad 500cm owner)
    I shoot mostly colour. When I eventually get a dark room setup, I will do B&W. I just bought a Hasselblad PCP-80 projector to view the slides. I think colour film will be in use. The Japanese seem to be a bit like the Germans in respect that not every commercial decision is about increasing share price. There are many companies in Japan which make small volume items, because that is the purpose of the company, its tradition. I think Fuji will continue making film forever. With Kodak gone, they certainly have increased sales, and film will become remain as an artistic medium, if not a commercial one.

Have a look at the Impossible film project. E6 is a simple in comparison to re-creating polaroid from scratch, and there is enough worldwide demand for Polaroid. I guess they made me realise that I am willing to pay more for what I enjoy, and that E6 prices are very cheap in comparison to what they would be if produced by a niche company. I'll be happy to support Fuji, and if the day ever comes, can freeze 20 years worth of film and buy a Jobo to process myself.

I currently use a Fuji 670GW and are very happy with it. Compared to the price of a top end digital camera, which depreciates every year, and then becomes disposable, a hand-made mechanical master piece like a Hasselblad is very good value.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Have you even looked at the Mamiyas? To me buying a Hassy is like buying a Leica, you're spending an assload of money for the name, sure the quality is there, but even the used prices are ridiculously overpriced, and the poster above who said "it's a place to put your viewfinder" I mean, it's essentially a box with a mirror and you're willing to spend $4,00 on that! You're insane if you do....

Look at the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II's pretty sure they have ttl, you could buy the camera, 2-3 lenses, a metered prism viewfinder, and a 6x6 back that takes 120 AND 220 all for less than $1000 and trust me the lens quality on the Mamiya Sekor-Z lenses is just as good as Hassy's Carl Zeiss. I even researched it, the glass is just as good, sometimes better since its fully fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sure, the first MF camera I was wowed by was a Mamiya 1000S. Your analogy with Leica is a good one, but I look at it a different way. There are many nicely made 35mm Japanese cameras from the 70's rotting away on shelves, will no spare parts and limited serviceability. On the other hand, there is an entire eco-system for old Leica's. Likewise, Hasselblad. Also, I was born in Sweden, so there is a special attraction to something made there. Some decisions are best made with the heart. I don't spend money on cars (ride a motorbike), which saves me money every year, so I can afford this indulgence.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'd be inclined to buy a fully-serviced Hasselblad from David Odess (if I were in the market for one):

http://www.david-odess.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used to be an advocate for buying used, but when you count the repair cost into the total price, then I have to say that if I had the money, I'd buy new these days, if you can get it new and not a 30+ years shelf queen.

Just go for it, if the heart and wallet says yes.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin