Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,623   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

New Blad vs 2nd hand

Hi,

I have a friend who runs a camera shop, and the distributor still has a new 503CW. I can get this with A12 for about $4K, which is good considering we have to pay 10% GST here.

My other option is the various MIB Milenium's available at some asian dealers for about $3k. The Milenium's pretty, but I'm thinking chances of getting a new blad are getting slimmer. Any thoughts?

Daniel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If buying new means a lot to you, then I guess it's up to you, but just body and back, $4k seems a little high to me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Theres just none available anymore. B&H is more expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For less money, you can buy a used one in very, very nice condition with a back, 50mm, 80mm, and 150mm lenses.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I havn't been able to find many MIB on ebay or elsewhere for much less than $3k. I know you can buy a wedding photographers cast off quite cheap, but these have usually had a busy life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If money wasnīt an issue and I had to chose between a brand new 503cw for 4k$ and a Millenium Edition for 3k$ then I would go with the new one, since the Millenium was 12 year ago and I would rather pay 1k more to make sure I have a pristine camera instead of spending a lot on a camera of which I donīt know how it has been treated. I would also prefer to buy from a friend rather than online and from someone I donīt know. In case something should be wrong with the camera during guarantee time (this is another important point) you can bring it back to the shop. With an used camera, you either wonīt have guarantee or problems might occur if you have ordered it online (dealer can refuse to take it back, repairs might be unsatisfying ect. these are worst case scenarios of course).
    I donīt have 4k to spend on a Hasselblad however, so I myself would look for a nice 501cm ;-)
    What about the lenses? If you want to buy these new, it will come pretty expensive. Maybe your friend can give a discount if you order a lens with the body?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You cant buy the lenses new now, so its a moot point. Only need 1 lens to start with, maybe ever. I have the Fuji 670W for wideangle (40mm), so Im more interested in 80mm for available light, 150mm for portraits (priority) and 250mm for landscape. All can be had relatively cheaply 2nd hand, even in there CFi versions.

Long lenses is one thing my field camera will never be good at, hence the blad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New Blad vs 2nd hand

If money is no object go for it. But there are so many perfectly working 500 and 501 out there for so much cheaper, I mean WAY cheaper, what is the point? Even ones with recent overhauls by very good technicians. These are built like tanks, even well-used will still work perfectly for many years. Heck get two for less than half and have a back up. I did that with a 500CM and 500C about 5 years ago.....I've never even used the C.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I'm being foolish, but I've always thought of my 500c body as:
    a - a spacer between an excellent lens and an excellent film back, and
    b - a place to put the waist level finder or prism

In other words, of all the components, the Hasselblad body matters least.

Given the robust build, and the availability of qualified technicians for an overhaul, it would be hard for me to justify a new Hasselblad body. And while many MF cameras have seen hard use by pros, I think that's less true of the more recent Hasselblad bodies as so many of the wedding photographers went digital.

Of course, it's certainly your decision.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Maybe I'm being foolish, but I've always thought of my 500c body as:
    a - a spacer between an excellent lens and an excellent film back, and
    b - a place to put the waist level finder or prism

In other words, of all the components, the Hasselblad body matters least.

Given the robust build, and the availability of qualified technicians for an overhaul, it would be hard for me to justify a new Hasselblad body. And while many MF cameras have seen hard use by pros, I think that's less true of the more recent Hasselblad bodies as so many of the wedding photographers went digital.

Of course, it's certainly your decision.
    Excellent response. I recently picked up a 501C with 80mm lens and A12 back. Everything looked like new and it came with a 6 month warranty. All for just a bit over $1K. I recently found an extension tube (55mm) that looks like new for $20 at a local camera store. Great deals are out there, just inspect the goods before you buy.

Wayne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin