Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,237   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Help! 220 - 120 setup mistake!

I'm traveling through New York and yesterday I went out on a little long exposure night shot adventure to take pictures of lower manhattan in pitch black. But I made one of those infantile stupid mistakes!
    I have a Fuji GF670 and I left the pressure plate set for 220 film while using 120!
    Should I be concerned with this? Has anybody done this before with this camera or any other?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it wound OK, i wouldn't be concerned. I think it would be worse to have use 220 with the 120 setting as it wouldn't have been as tight.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just remember that you only get 10 shots, not 20, and it should be fine.

Ideally, the pressure plate rides in a way that leaves a channel for the film to 'float' in. It doesn't actually press the film against a surface. So setting the plate to 220 instead of 120 means that this channel is thinner. And the film could be pressed tighter against the rollers and film gate. So scratching becomes an issue. And it can take more force to wind the film forward, stressing the wind system.

In practice, my bigger worry is forgetting to stop at the end of the actual roll since the counter will keep going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be a little rough on the camera, but the film should be fine.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    You are not going to be really good at photography until you make all the mistakes. That's really how you learn. I shot some photos with the lens cap on a rangefinder Leica. Once.
    I've done that with a rangefinder (not a Leica). That's why I prefer an SLR. If the lens cap is on, I can't see anything through the viewfinder.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've done this with a Mamiya 7. Didn't notice a focus issue, but I wasn't wide open. The film advance took more force, probably more than I am comfortable doing too many times. My film wasn't scratched up either.

Images
    Good Evening,

If other manufacturers would adopt the Koni-Omega RF system, possible scratching and excessive winding force would not happen, since the pressure plate moves against the film only when the shutter is pressed. If the appoach is workable on the Koni, a camera with interchangeable lenses and backs, using it on something like the Fuji RF and other simple cameras should be a no-brainer.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help! 220 - 120 setup mistake!

Did that once on one of my Fujis, there were no ill effects.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone! I'm about to cook the film and see what happens but I'm feeling pretty confident about it thanks to all of you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    You are not going to be really good at photography until you make all the mistakes. That's really how you learn. I shot some photos with the lens cap on a rangefinder Leica. Once.
    I've made all the mistakes. Does that mean I am really good at photography?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin