Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,530   Online: 816

Shooter
    Medium Format

Spot leather dye?

Hey guys,

what everyone feeling about use black leather dye to spot dye black leather cover on Rolleis? I scored on a 3.5f that has a fading on the back lid, I was thinking of using dye to match it. Or should let it go?

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it a collector or a shooter?

If it's a shooter, leave it alone. Cosmetics don't affect the picture.

If it's a collector, restore it but consider sending it in for a complete restoration instead of spotting here and there.
    A spotty job will look crummy and will likely detract from the collector's value. Sending it to an expert will add to its provenance and, with luck, might enhance the collector's value.

My Rollei is a shooter. As long as it looks "decent" it doesn't matter to me.

As far as I am concerned, function trumps cosmetics almost any day.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a shooter.. Good point. I'll let it go. Thanks

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only one small caveat.

Cosmetic defects can, sometimes, indicate that the camera has been subject to hard use or has been damaged.

A "brassed" escutcheon around the cocking lever might seem like it's only a cosmetic defect but you also have to consider that, in order to wear away the chrome from that location, the lever must have been actuated many, many times. If it's been operated enough times to wear away that much of the finish, the mechanism inside the camera must have also been operated many, many times. That suggests hard use.

Scratches or small dents on the base plate of a camera might seem like they are only cosmetic but consider that, in order to get those scratches, the camera must have been slid across some hard surface several times. Dents or gouges indicate that it might have been dropped or bumped hard.

Whenever you see any indications of hard use or wear on a camera, consider sending it to have it cleaned and adjusted. (The proverbial "C.L.A.")
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To me it looks like it rubbing up against clothing. Swinging from on a shoulder strap.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just from the sound of it, you're probably in the clear.

My camera has the usual wear from being handled. A small ding in the finish, here and there. Everything is in working order.

If your camera is in similar condition, you've probably got nothing to worry about.

If you are keeping it as a shooter, more's the better. If the camera was in pristine, collectible condition you'd always be worried about messing it up.

As a photographer, not a collector, I'm more concerned about the photos the camera takes than the looks of the camera, itself.

Hope you get some great shots with your Rollei!
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you must touch it up, go to a shoe repair shop or leather worker first. As you say, it sounds like rubbing on a shirt or such. If you use the wrong coloring, it too will rub off... onto your shirt. I know that using shoe polish on camera leather or on cases is discouraged for this reason.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin