Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,677   Online: 901

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    By the time people became convinced that having a meter built into the camera was an essential necessity, there weren't really that many companies left in the TLR game... Just get a hand held meter which is more versatile and less awkward to use. Then you can use the same meter with any manual camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    By the time people became convinced that having a meter built into the camera was an essential necessity, there weren't really that many companies left in the TLR game... Just get a hand held meter which is more versatile and less awkward to use. Then you can use the same meter with any manual camera.
    Or if you're like me and find it hard to shell out 100+ for a lightmeter, find a well calibrated SLR for as little as possible, or use one you already have. It's a little clunky, but if you absolutely need a meter, it'll do in a pinch. Obviously only works for standstill shots.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a 124, the meter works great using an earing aid battery (1,4volts), it has a strange internal flare issue that can be easely solved using d-c-fix self adhesive velvet tipe material that´s excellent to improve internal flare issues (also in other cameras... i used it in a deardorff, a burke and james and even in a recent shen hao and toyo and the flare was visibly lowered, i also use it in all LF lens boards!).

The lens, before the flare correction seemed more vulgar and i thought i had a bad example of the tessar copy.

After covering the film chamber walls i imediatly saw a huge improvment!

great camera although!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well this is for a friend. I personally would get a Rollei, and I do have Rolleis but when it comes to meters, camera preferences change.

He is a serious digital shooter and has a handheld meter. He was impressed by my 120 images and wants a 120 TLR. However, he has never used a camera that does not have a built in meter. I imagine he wants to use this as a "point and shoot" so carrying a meter is a bit of a hassle, to him. I'm not so much a digital shooter but I don't feel like digital shooters carry external meters for casual shooting so this idea might seem weird to him. Yeah, 120 is a different style of shooting (slower paced, usually) but this is something that he will figure out himself.

I told him that meters aren't that accurate and they add a premium to the price. He asked how I metered, and I told him that I just incident and oftentimes guess, and hardly ever screw up my negatives but he wants a meter and is willing to pay more. He asked if he thought he can get one with a working meter for under $500 and I told him that 1/2 of that, is probably too much. I figured Yashica is probably the best bet since they were in the game later than other non-rollei manufacturers. And with meters I figured that younger is better and hence 124 and 124g.

Another possible option is a vc meter. I looked online and it looks like the yashica's have a cold shoe? Again, the built in meter is something that he wants and he is willing to pay more.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 11-04-2012 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can find TLRs with working meters, but you're right, you pay for it. That, and buying film equipment online can be a real pain. They may say the meter works but then the mirror is crap and the gears need CLA. I'd keep an eye on the classifieds if I were him, and maybe ask around a local used camera store, because the only real way to know that it works is to hold it ;D
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cheapish metered TLR

Is he shooting slide film? If not using his hand held meter and adjusting by opening a stop or two for scenes in the shade should be easy if using as a "point and shoot". Plus using your head and getting used to adjusting and thinking of scenes as differing stops greatly improves your photography in my opinion. I have a few Rolleiflexes with working meters but other than referencing them as I'm heading out, and maybe once or twice later if light conditions change radically, I'm doing adjustments in my head and applying it to the aperture or speed on the fly.
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 11-04-2012 at 02:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EKDobbs View Post
    Or if you're like me and find it hard to shell out 100+ for a lightmeter, find a well calibrated SLR for as little as possible, or use one you already have. It's a little clunky, but if you absolutely need a meter, it'll do in a pinch. Obviously only works for standstill shots.
    I have two very good meters - an Ikophot and a Leningrad - that each cost me £5.00 on Ebay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    one of my friends wants a metered TLR so I was thinking Yashica.

1. Is this the best metered option (for the price)?
    2. What is the difference between the 124 and 124g?
    3. What is the approximate cost?
    For the price, yes.

The 124G has a reputation for having some plastic gears and other parts where the 124 has metal. And the 124G is a butt-ugly monstrosity while the 124 maintains some grace of the older TLR look... well, I guess that's a matter of opinion

They will go for $150 to $350. For $350, you can get an overhauled 124/G from Mark Hama where everything will be working well. Short of that, be patient and you'll find something that works well.

I'll echo what others have said about the internal meter. If you let go of that as a requirement a whole world of wonderful TLRs opens up to your friend. But if an internal meter is what will get him using the camera, that is the way to go.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some late-model Minolta Autocords have CdS meters. I don't know what batteries they need or whether the meters can still be repaired. But it might be worth asking around to find out, because the Autocord is otherwise a really nice camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    For the price, yes.

The 124G has a reputation for having some plastic gears and other parts where the 124 has metal. And the 124G is a butt-ugly monstrosity while the 124 maintains some grace of the older TLR look... well, I guess that's a matter of opinion
    +1 for the comment on look. The G is all black and not as cute as the "non G" 124.

My 124 was accurate enough for B&W film, and a very nice camera (don't ask me why I sold it please)
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin