Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,882   Online: 935

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that have a built-in meter is a great deal. I don´t like handheld meters, they are chunky and its one more thing to carry and take care. I use it only when the camera doesn´t have one. Or I use Sunny 16.

I had once a Yashica MAT that I bought at an used furniture store (no kidding). The camera was covered in dust and clean it cost me more than I paid for it (was really cheap). Although the camera was 40 years old the selenium meter was working perfectly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since the metal parts in Yashicamats were often stamped, I don't see the practical difference in having metal or quality nylon gears in the 124G - it still works well, is generally newer (obviously) and the meters, when working, do the job - apart from the fact that the ASA dial is small and somewhat imprecise. Also, IMO the black case is less a Rollei clone and all the better for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    The gold contacts are supposed to be less prone to corrosion.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    That's true, also gold is an excellent conductor of electricity.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Yashica-mat 124 seems to have almost cult status and price. Consider the older Yashica-mat LM. However, a handheld meter may almost as practical, and more reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If we are talking about non-photovoltaic meters then as far as I know the choice is between the Rollieflex FX and the Yashica 124(G). I'd go for the Rolleiflex FX.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cheapish metered TLR

Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    That's true, also gold is an excellent conductor of electricity.
    Gold is an excellent conductor, but copper conducts electricity better than gold. Silver is even better than copper. Both, however, oxidize much more readily than gold.

All else being equal, I'd go for the gold contacts. But I would not choose a lesser camera, simply because it had gold contacts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A rolleiflex FX is way out of his budget. I understand that a handheld meter is more reliable and just as practical but the meter was his prescription. Some people would rather spend more for a meter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin