Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 792

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fixing scratches on a focusing screen

Is there any way to freshen up a scratched focusing screen? Both my Bronicas have a variety of scratches which are not terrible, but kind of irritating.

Thanks!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    if the scratches are on the glossy upper side, maybe with a special polishing paste for transparent plastic. If they are on the fresnel side: no chance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Jochen,
    I have used "Fitz" on plastic display cases with great success. A lot of plastic modelers use it to buff out plastic windshields. It is a liquid buffing compound, comes in a squeeze tube. Look up Fitz in modeling magazines and websites. I have never tried it on a focusing screen. It's very fine stuff though. Another remedy is old fashion toothpaste, it's also a mild abrasive. I'd follow the advise above on where to use it.
    Good luck,
    2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plastic screens can be resurfaced with plastic polish, again like jochen says only on the transparent side. If its a scratch on the other side the only solution is a replacement. You can surely shoot with it and it wont affect the image, after awhile you wont really notice it, as your brain reconfigures (well mine does atleast).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy a new one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not always possible. I don't think you can still get brand new screens for the Bronica system, and most used ones seem to have at least a few marks.

You might want to try the plastic polish or toothpaste on one of the less obtrusive scratches first (say if you have one at the top of the viewfinder), that way if it doesn't help matters you won't make the screen unusable. If it works perfectly then you can attack the rest.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    Hello,
    if the scratches are on the glossy upper side, maybe with a special polishing paste for transparent plastic. If they are on the fresnel side: no chance!
    True, except the glossy side is the lower side-the fresnel side is the upper side.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Eh?

My ETR and ETRSi have the ground glass on the underside, it must be right as focus is spot on. Always assumed that Bronica did this so that the more robust smooth side was revealed when you changed viewfinders.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    True, except the glossy side is the lower side-the fresnel side is the upper side.
    DOH! I misspoke. The glossy upper side IS the fresnel side. Drag a fingernail or the edge of a piece of paper across it lightly, and you will hear the sound made by the ridges. Or look with a loupe.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    Not always possible. I don't think you can still get brand new screens for the Bronica system,
    18 different new Bronica screens show up on a B&H site search.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin