Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,853   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Stupid Mamiya RB67 question

A friend has a very nice RB 67 SD with a nice collection of lenses, at an attractive price. However, it appears that all three backs are 220 backs. I don't believe they are switchable between 220 and 120, are they? On my 645, the insert is one or the other.

He has only ever used 220 film, so doesn't remember. I tend toward B&W, so I would really want to shoot 120.

Anyone have first hand knowledge on this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Motorized backs are switchable but regular backs aren't switchable. On RB, back itself is really just a shell and the insert does all of the work.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    A friend has a very nice RB 67 SD with a nice collection of lenses, at an attractive price. However, it appears that all three backs are 220 backs. I don't believe they are switchable between 220 and 120, are they? On my 645, the insert is one or the other.

He has only ever used 220 film, so doesn't remember. I tend toward B&W, so I would really want to shoot 120.

Anyone have first hand knowledge on this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    They are different with different pressure plates heights, you may scratch the 120 using 220 backs.

HOWEVER 120 backs used are REALLY cheap, you can get them for $20-$50 each on eBay or even Adorama at times, they have more expensive ones but the quality doesn't seem to differ, I own one that I got for my RZ67 and it's actually in better condition and looks brand new.

Deals are out there, good luck!

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HOWEVER 120 backs used are REALLY cheap, you can get them for $20-$50 each on eBay or even Adorama at times, they have more expensive ones but the quality doesn't seem to differ, I own one that I got for my RZ67 and it's actually in better condition and looks brand new.

Deals are out there, good

You might be able to find 120 inserts but working 120 backs aren't giveaway priced. Keep in mind that the old Pro backs lack the double exposure lock-outs of the later Pro S backs. Both would probably be candidates for light seal replacement, too, along with the seals on the RB unit, especially on the surface that mates up with the film back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    120 film works fine in 220 backs.

Just have to remember to roll off the film when you get to 11 on the counter.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Stone said, the deals are there, but many of the 120 backs out there are very likely to need light seals (even ones from Adorama!)so be prepared to replace them.
    -Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format

My questions are worse!

I suppose you could sell them to someone that shoots color film, and then buy 120 size. Also, I don't know if this is possible, but could a repair shop convert the 220's to 120? The cost of having it done might be offset by the increase of value of the backs. The only things that might need to be changed would be the rollers and the pressure plate. Maybe this could be done by the owner if the parts were available. I have never heard of this being done, or if it is even something that can be done. Is it? Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RB 67 Pro SD backs in 120 are getting hard to find and quite expensive. The Pro S backs are serviceable, less expensive and more numerous.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimrohrer View Post
    As Stone said, the deals are there, but many of the 120 backs out there are very likely to need light seals (even ones from Adorama!)so be prepared to replace them.
    -Jim
    Oh right!! I have an RZ so they stopped using foam, just perfect machining of plastic/metal with groves...So I didn't have to worry about that. my bad...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Oh right!! I have an RZ so they stopped using foam, just perfect machining of plastic/metal with groves...So I didn't have to worry about that. my bad...
    Look closer... only RZII backs have no (or less) foam. They do have rubber though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin