Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,660   Online: 825

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aahh.....! Which Rolleiflex 2.8F to buy?

Hi

I am in the marked for a Rolleiflex and I am currently looking for a Rolleiflex model 2.8F incarnation.

I see on the "Date my rollei" page that the "last" Rolleiflex 2.8F series started in 1969 ( http://www.rolleirepairs.com/models.htm ).

What I don't quite understand is; How _long_ was this line produced, before being replaced? (was it replaced by the GX and FX?)
    While scanning eBay, I've yet to find a Rolleiflex from the 70's, 80's or 90's (what is the name of the models produced then?), I only find stuff from the 40's to late 60's.

I am, off course, looking for a camera in good working and good cosmetic condition, but I am not looking for a piece to display in my living-room, I actually plan to shoot with the thing.
    Looks like a reasonable price to pay for a version from the 60's is around €1200-€1500 in Europe, depending on condition and accessories I suppose? (after comparing prices)

So, I'm thinking that newer is always better, as long as the condition is good........or is it?

I was planning to go for the Planar version, although I get from various discussions that xenotar may be just as sharp (or even sharper some say).

I like the look of the Classic 2.8F, but why aren't there any Rolleiflex 2.8Fs' around for sale from the 70's, 80's and 90's ?
    - Did rolleiflex quit the whole thing between 1970 and 2000-something, when they came out with the GX version?

Any Rollei-nerds around with some clarification on this?
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    According to the Rolleiclub site: http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tl.../A-F_tlr.shtml there were Fs (Model: K7F4) being produced through the 70s and 80s. There are also various special edition 2.8Fs from the 80s and later, GXs beginning in the 80s.

If it was me I wouldn't worry about using a 60s one if it was in good condition. I have a 3.5E from the late 50s which I use regularly, and I can't fault the quality of the photographs (or the accuracy of the meter, for that matter).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes indeed, i bought an old 3.5 in Tokyo for $50 last month, viewing lens has loads of fungus, the body is very worn and not very nice to look at, viewfinder dim as heck. But the taking lens is clear and the shutter-mecanics still works well, with fair timings on slower shutters, body still light tight.

- It's just too cheap to get fixed up, so I suppose this camera will be a display-piece mostly.

The photos from the camera, though, are actually amazing (i think my 3.5 is from the early 50's). I'm very impressed and indeed with Rolleiflex as a whole, thats why I am looking for a "good one" and F2.8 F. ^^
    (I don't care so much for the newest GX/FX ones really)

The only thing that was wrong with my 3.5, was faulty focus.

I fixed that by opening up the front and screw-adjust the viewing lens, while correlating by viewing trough the taking lens on bulb exposure, using a Hasselblad focusing screen and a negative magnifier.

After the adjustment, it was spot on and, as mentioned, very sharp. ^^
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 11-05-2012 at 05:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This site will help you with proicing: http://antiquecameras.net/rolleiflex.html

Good luck
    Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 2,8F was made from 1960-1981. During the 70s however, demand for Rollei TLRs declined and fewer cameras were made. Rollei also got into financial troubles during this era. From 1973 on the camera was only available with Xenotar lenses. (According to "The classic Rollei - a definitive guide"). It will be quite difficult to find a camera from the 70s, but this does not matter at all, except for collectors. I would rather buy based on condition than on production year. Rolleis dating from the 60s are perfectly fine, if well cared for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi
    If you're in Europe I would look to leicashop.com or maybe contact Jürgen Kuschnick (THE great rolleiflex repairman in europe)to see if he has any for sale to be sure to get a good one.
    on leicashop.com there doesn't seem to be any 2.8f's for sale at the moment, but there's this: https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/ro...x--p-3531.html

Which seems to be a rolleiflex E2. So you can interchange the viewfinder and focussing screen as with the F.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh and buy the way, it doesn't really matter if it's a planar or a xenotar. As long as the lens is in good condition, any of them will be more than adequate (and way more at that!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aahh.....! Which Rolleiflex 2.8F to buy?

There's no reason to over-pay for an F, get and E, or E2 if you want interchangeable screens. And the condition overall is more important than if its a Xenotar or Planar (I've got 2 of each, trust me, it does not matter). And I second contacting Jurgen. He's a good guy. Worked on some stuff for me years ago when he was here in the states.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Long long ago I had a 3.5F with a Planar lens Absolutely brilliant and could not for the life of me think why anyone would go for the 2.8F. As said before even the meter was accurate too. It was stolen and although I wanted another The insurance they offered me would not even come close to the price they had escalated to in the meantime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    There's no reason to over-pay for an F, get and E, or E2 if you want interchangeable screens. And the condition overall is more important than if its a Xenotar or Planar (I've got 2 of each, trust me, it does not matter). And I second contacting Jurgen. He's a good guy. Worked on some stuff for me years ago when he was here in the states.
    Yes, excellent idea. Get an E

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin